We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 NLT
Thoughts for Today
Preoccupation with a substance or behavior generally develops into a growing rigidity in lifestyle.
- Rituals develop that lead to use/behavior in small, seemingly innocent steps. (e.g. a gambler needs to check the odds daily)
- Frustration and anger occur when the ritual is interrupted or when someone interferes with the ritual. (e.g. becoming angry with spouse who comes home early or asks for help with tasks that interfere)
- Particular times of the day are set aside for use or practice. (e.g. after-work drink, bedtime pill, etc.)
- Self-imposed rules are adjusted or ignored as the need grows. (“My ‘no drinking at lunch’ rule can be broken just this once.”)
- Social events and free time activities are limited to those that accommodate the practice or usage. (“I cannot go anywhere without my medication.”)
We might try to fool ourselves into believing that some of these rituals are actually good for us because they appear to “limit” our use or practice to certain times of the day some other kind of “safe limit.” In fact, they are far from harmless as they begin—step by step—to take over the shape and structure of our lives.
There is only one way to stop this progression of a life-controlling problem—God’s way. His weapons of warfare are found through prayer and in His Word. Using His weapons can knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and destroy false arguments.
It’s time to do battle against this substance or behavior that is gaining hold in your life. God has provided an arsenal of spiritual weapons in His Word. Are you ready to fight?
Father, I‘m ready to do things your way. I know this behavior has to stop before it goes any further. Forgive my sin and help me to wage war using your weapons. In Jesus’ name …
These thoughts were drawn from…
Insight Group by Dr. Jimmy Ray Lee. With its emphasis on developing Christian character, Insight is a powerful group for those who want to be sure to prevent life-controlling problems from developing in their lives, as well as for those who need to overcome a current problem. Note: This curriculum was written especially for small groups and we encourage people to use it that way. However, it can also be used effectively as a personal study for individuals or couples
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
© Living Free 2007. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending e-mail to info@LivingFree.org.