High Maintenance Christianity: Don a Protective Shield
- Sunday, January 04, 2004
My granddaughter is learning to ride a bike. Scary times call for drastic measures. Bike helmets are now the law…and so they should have always been. Knowing and being assured of one’s salvation protects our minds from believing the lies of the devil.
6. The sword of the Spirit
a. The sword of the Spirit, Paul goes on to say, is the Word of God. Remember when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness? What weapon did He have against the devil? The very Word of God. As Satan threw false prompting at Him, Jesus merely quoted Scripture. Satan, in return, had no choice but to leave…to flee, as James puts in. “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7)
7. Prayer in the Spirit
This final word brings about a high level of importance. In John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible (http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/GillsExpositionoftheBible/) he wrote: The last weapon is prayer, and takes in all sorts of prayer, mental and vocal, public and private; and every branch of it, as deprecation of evils, petitions for good things, and thanksgiving for mercies: and which should be used always: this stands opposed to such who pray not at all, or who have prayed, but have left it off; or who pray only in distress, and it suggests, that a man should pray as often as he has an opportunity; and particularly, that he should make use of it in times of darkness, desertion, and temptation: and this, when performed aright, is performed "in the Spirit"; with the heart, soul, and spirit engaged in it; it is put up with a true heart, and a right spirit, and without hypocrisy; in a spiritual way, and with fervency, and under the influence, and by the assistance of the Spirit of God.
Questions for Personal or Group Study
1. Do you use a sun block or sunscreen when you’re in the sun? What SPF do you typically use?
2. Do you use a type of foundation or moisturizer with an SPF? If yes, can you see a difference in your skin? If no, why not.
3. How often do you “apply the whole armor of God?”
4. Why is it important that we daily do this?
5. Can you think of a time when you HAD applied the armor of God that you were distinctly aware of the difference in made? What about a time when you felt you’d gone out unprotected? What happened?
Recently on Spiritual Life
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content