How to Make Your Faith Real
- Thursday, September 11, 2008
· “Do I ask God for direction when the choice isn’t clear?” Save yourself the trouble of muddling through confusion and making destructive mistakes by consistently praying about your choices. Learn how to listen to God and obey what He says.
· “Do I study the Bible for myself?” Rather than just relying on the limited biblical knowledge you can gain from listening to sermons or talking with other Christian friends, decide to actually read and study the Bible yourself on a regular basis. Ask God to speak to you in fresh ways through the Bible whenever you read it.
· “Where do I find my strength?” Look to God alone to give you the strength you need in any situation. He’s the only reliable source of strength.
Questions about what you believe:
· “Have I built my own altar?” Build an altar in your heart for God every day by making Him your top priority and working everyone and everything else in your life around your relationship with Him.
· “Who is God to me?” Beware of trying to make God smaller than He really is. He’s much more than a buddy who comforts you; He’s the all-powerful God of the universe. Ask God to open up your eyes to see Him in a new way. Let God’s mysteriousness motivate you learn something new about Him every day.
· “What is my true identity?” Don’t base your identity on your talents, your jobs, your relationships, your possessions, or what other people say about you. Instead, base it on what matters most – the fact that God created you, loves you, and has a good purpose for your life.
· “Is God relevant in my world?” Every part of your life relates to God. Pray for the wisdom to make choices that honor God and His plans for you, so you can enjoy the best life possible.
· “How do I apply this to my faith life?” Incorporate your faith into every part of your life instead of reserving it only for emergencies or certain contexts. Absolutely everything you experience can help you grow as a person if you pray about it and invite God to use it to accomplish good purposes in your life.
Questions about who you trust:
· “Do I trust God when life is unfair?” Instead of thinking about how big the obstacle you’re facing is, consider how big God is, and realize that you can completely trust Him to act according to what’s best for you in any situation.
· “Will God show me what to do?” Whenever you’re not sure what to do, pray to God boldly, expecting Him to answer. You can trust Him to give you an answer, plus the peace you need.
· “What if my life is affected by someone else’s decision?” Even though other people will let you down, God never will. You can always count on God to help you when others have hurt you. His love can never be taken away from you.
· “What if I can’t trust myself?” Struggling with sin is a normal part of living in our fallen world. But when you sin, don’t stay in your sin. Instead, ask God to help you heal and mature. You may not be able to trust yourself, but you can always trust God.
Recently on Spiritual Life
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content