Is God Just a Human Invention? - Video Interview and Book Excerpt with Sean McDowell
- Wednesday, October 20, 2010
1. Gerald R. McDermott, The Baker Pocket Guide to World Religions: What Every Christian Needs to Know (Grands Rapids: Baker, 2008).
2. Yann Martel, Life of Pi (San Dieg Harvest, 2003), 28.
3. Sigmund Freud, The Future of an Illusion, trans. James Strachey (New York: Norton, 1989), 38.
4. See, for example, William Lane Craig and J. P. Moreland, The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology (Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell,
5. Paul Copan and Paul K. Moser, The Rationality of Theism (London: Routledge, 2003), 5.
6. Interestingly, there is some evidence of this. See Paul C. Vitz, Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism (Dallas: Spence, 1999), 17-57.
7. C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996), 119-22.
8. However, we certainly need to move forward responsibly and humanely. See the excellent work by C. Ben Mitchell et al., Biotechnology
and the Human Good (Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2007).
9. Quoted in Barbara Bradley Hagerty, Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality (New York: Riverhead, 2009), 93.
10. Ibid., 94-95.
11. Francis S. Collins, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief (New York: Free Press, 2006), 263.
12. Keith Ward, Is Religion Dangerous? (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2007), 176.
13. Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion (New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2008), 193.
14. Ibid., 222.
15. Richard Dawkins, A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science, and Love (New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2003), 117.
17. These points are summarized from Alister McGrath, Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life (Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2005),
18. Dawkins, Devil's Chaplain, 124.
19. McGrath, Dawkins' God, 134.
20. Ibid., 135.
21. Ibid., 130.
22. Ibid., 137.
23. Dawkins, The God Delusion, 208-9.
24. See the arguments for and against in Michael J. Murray and Jeffrey Schloss, The Believing Primate: Scientific, Philosophical, and Theological
Reflections on the Origin of Religion (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009).
25. Michael J. Murray, "Belief in God: A Trick of Our Brain?" in Contending with Christianity's Critics: Answering New Atheists and Other
Objectors, ed. Paul Copan and William Lane Craig (Nashville: B & H Publishing, 2009), 47.
26. Murray, "Belief in God," 52.
27. Justin L. Barrett, Why Would Anyone Believe in God? Cognitive Science of Religion Series (Lanham, MD: AltaMira, 2004), 124. For a
philosophical/theological argument for this same conclusion, see Alvin Plantinga, Warranted Christian Belief (Oxford: Oxford University
28. Ecclesiastes 3:11.
Recently on Spiritual Life
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content