You Don't Have to be "Just That Way" Any Longer
- Tuesday, January 22, 2013
2. Lock Up the Negative Thoughts. In order to let God—and not the voices in your head—define you, you must learn to bring “every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). When you hear negative thoughts from your head defining you, capture them—instead of letting them run loose. Be determined to only hear the thoughts that are obedient to God, the thoughts that are consistent with His Word’s description of you. Tune your ear to hear the thoughts of God's that say:
- “I have loved you with an everlasting love…” (Jeremiah 31:3).
- “I have called you friends” (John 15:15).
- "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2).
Who are you really, my friend? Renew your mind—and receive your new identity—with the beautiful descriptions of you found in God’s Word. And walk with your head higher, focused on the fact that you are not just that way. You are, instead, just like your Father.
Cindi McMenamin is a national speaker and author of several books, including When Women Walk Alone (more than 100,000 copies sold) When a Woman Overcomes Life's Hurts, and Women on the Edge. For a self-assessment test to see if you're still being affected by past hurts in your life, see her website: StrengthForTheSoul.com.
Publication date: January 22, 2013
Recently on Women
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content