According to a recent survey by Trulia, an online real estate marketplace, 50 percent of millennials said they would ask their parents for financial help to come up with the necessary down payment to purchase a house.
Sixty percent of the millennials surveyed reported their finances are the single biggest obstacle to home ownership. Lack of savings, debt and poor credit are all reasons why millennials are unable to pull together the necessary down payment for a house themselves.
"Saving up for a down payment is a big obstacle and it can make the home buying process even more intimidating," said Michael Corbett, Trulia's real estate expert.
Even though their finances are the biggest barrier to home ownership, they aren't prepared to give up life's little luxuries to help save for their down payment. Here are the top 10 items that millennials would never give up in order to save for a home purchase:
4. Netflix Subscription
6. Eating out/take out
7. Clothes shopping
8. Organic shopping
9. Gym membership
10. A morning latte/cappuccino
Source: Wall Street Journal
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- The Chicken Wing is Really a ThingMonday, July 28, 2014
- What's Hot? 07/25/14Friday, July 25, 2014
- Teen Drinking Linked to Tougher Transition to AdulthoodThursday, July 24, 2014
- Guidelines for Buying a Used Car for a Teen DriverWednesday, July 23, 2014
- Add Caffeine Powder to List of Teen RisksTuesday, July 22, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content