Lessons Learned From Hurricane Isabel
- Sunday, October 12, 2003
- Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ grill.
- No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity.
- My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the people in line who helped me push it).
- Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller in their hand.
- He who has the biggest generator wins.
- Women can actually survive without doing their hair -- you just wish they weren't around you.
- A new method of non-lethal torture -- cold showers
- Dominion Virginia Power and VDOT are the same company -- not really, but their abilities to plan are strikingly similar.
- There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.
- TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful.
- There are a lot of big, I mean very big, trees around here.
- Flood plane drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously wrong.
- Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14 generators.
- People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for.
- Some things do keep the mailman from his appointed rounds.
- Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as the battery remains charged.
- 27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out!
- Hampers can only contain a certain amount of clothes
- If I had a store that sold only ice, chain saws, gas and generators...I'd be rich.
- Price of peanut butter and bread rises 200% in a storm
- Your waterfront property can quickly become someone else's fishing hole.
- Tree service companies are under appreciated
- I learned what happens when you make fun of another state's blackout.
- MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill ?????
- Drywall is a compound word, take away the 'dry" part and its worthless.
- I can walk a lot farther than I thought.
- The only good thing about not having telephones -- you haven't had a call from a telemarketer lately, have you?
Recently on Mind Benders
Live Artistically for GodDouglas Mann's new book claims "All Christians are artists"
History's Smartest DogHow will "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" translate to modern times?
Problems Post-ChurchIs Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome a real thing?
Lead Her in PrayerSam Ingrassia explains the importance of a praying husband
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
advertise with us
Example: "Gen 1:1" "John 3" "Moses" "trust"
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content