- Sunday, October 24, 2004
Just in case we need to remember how bad it can be . . . here are 20 major events that have occurred since the Chicago Cubs last laid claim to a World Series championship:
1. Radio was invented.
(Cubs fans get to hear their team lose)
2. TV was invented.
(Cubs fans get to see their team lose)
3. Baseball added 14 teams.
(Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs)
4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
5. Halley's comet passed Earth - twice.
6. Harry Caray was born... and died. Incredible, but true!
7. The NBA, NHL, NFL, IHL, and ISL were formed.
(Each of those Chicago teams have each won championships)
8. Man landed on the moon.
(As have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers)
9. Sixteen U.S. presidents were elected.
10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created and repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures.
The latter giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.
14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants.
(Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down)
15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympic games have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown.
(Several thanked Cubs pitchers)
17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in.
18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Florida Marlins have all won the World Series.
19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games.
(They lost the majority of them)
20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.
Recently on Sports Humor
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content