Why You Need to Pursue Financial Peace as a Single Mom
Jennifer Maggio is considered a leading authority on single parents and womens issues. She is an award-winning author and speaker who draws from her own experiences through abuse, homelessness, and teen pregnancy to inspire audiences everywhere. She is founder of The Life of a Single Mom Ministries and writes for dozens of publications. She has been featured with hundreds of media outlets, including The 700 Club, Daystar Television, Moody Radio, Focus on the Family, and many more. For more information, visit thelifeofasinglemom.com.
- 2016 Oct 05
There will be all types of who read this with many different stories. Some of you have been through financial education classes, graduated college, and/or work in professional environments, while others are still in pursuit of a high school diploma. Some are middle class. Some are below the poverty line right now. Maybe you were raised in a home where you were never taught about healthy money management and finances. Whatever the case, understanding healthy money management is critical.
- Money stresses us out. It causes many tears. Stressed parents don’t parent well. It affects your friendships, your job performance, and your parenting.
- Jesus died for our salvation and he died that we may be set free. That freedom is intended for our spiritual lives, of course. But money can absolutely be bondage for us that can cause us to be enslaved to our thought process or poor decisions. Poor money management can be a culprit in addiction. As Christians, we want freedom in all areas, so that we may be a living example of who Christ is living through us. Make no mistake. I’m not talking about some frivolous pursuit to secure worldly riches. I simply mean having the freedom to know that our financial situation isn’t a hindrance in our faith walk.
- We want to leave our children a legacy. Proverbs 13:22 says Good people leave an inheritance to their grandchildren. Did you notice it doesn’t even say children, rather grandchildren? What an important word for us! We are to be good stewards of that which the Lord has given us in hopes of leaving something behind for our children and their children.
- Wisdom. Proverbs 24:3 says A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong with good sense. Healthy money management leads to freedom.
- As a single mom, you want to move into a new relationship healthy. You are not constantly looking for a man to pay your bills or help you make ends meet when you’ve been wise with your money. It is easier not to jump into a new relationship out of sheer financial desperation, when you’ve taken good care of that which has been entrusted to you. You are a healthy, strong woman of God who brings great value to a relationship, when you’ve pursued financial wisdom.
Jennifer Maggio is the founder of The Life of a Single Mom Ministries and Overwhelmed: The Single Moms Magazine. Her journey from homeless single mother to 11-time Circle of Excellence winner is Corporate America leaves audiences riveted. She describes herself as an ordinary girl loving an extraordinary God. For more info, visit http://www.thelifeofasinglemom.com.