Bible Pathways 06/28/2002
- Sign Up for Email? Sign Up for Email Delivery?
- 2002 Jun 28
Read Psalms 18 -- 22
In Today's Reading:
Thanksgiving for deliverance; creation and covenants of God; a prayer for God's people; praise for victory; cry of anguish and song of praise.
Verses for Today:
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handywork.The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the Testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. . . . The Commandment of the Lord is pure (clear), enlightening the eyes (the mind) (19:1,7-8)
The effects of the Word of God are beyond comparison, considering it was by the power of His Word that the world was created (Hebrews 1:2-3). But most exciting is the transforming influence of Jesus, "the Living Word" of God, upon all who receive Him as Lord. You can count on what the Bible says. Nothing compares with the Word of God in providing insight for every need, for the Word of the Lord is right (Psalms 33:4).
The first six verses of Psalms 19 refer to the works of God in the world, and the remaining eight verses refer to the marvelous influence of His Word on the lives of all who love and obey Him.
In this short psalm, six names are used to express the Word of God:
1. It is the Law of the Lord, and, as such, is perfect (19:7). It is as superior to the words of man as the heavens are above the earth. No modern-day writer would dare to say that his books are inspired of God as the books of the Bible. Neither could they say they are perfect, converting the soul. Then why would anyone settle for less than receiving with meekness the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls (James 1:21)?
2. It is the Testimony of the Lord (Psalms 19:7). It is God who speaks, making wise the simple. The Apostle Paul confirmed this to Timothy, saying: [You have] known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make [you] wise unto salvation (2 Timothy 3:15).
3. It is the Statutes (eternal order) of the Lord (and therefore) are right (Psalms 19:8). Because they are founded on the righteousness of God, they provide unmistakable direction and correction for one's life. His Word reveals what we are, as well as what God has planned for us to be.
4. It is the Commandment of the Lord (19:8) -- not mere suggested alternatives. It has not been mixed with contemporary, popular opinion; it is the expression of God and His holiness. When obeyed from a heart full of love and thankfulness, His Commandments are not considered legalistic, since it is our desire to please the Lord. His Commandments provide insight into a new life of freedom from the bondage of sin, self, and Satan. Through them we enjoy true freedom in the Lord and His blessings.
5. It reveals the Fear of the Lord (19:9), not a fear of being in His presence, but a reverential admiration for His holiness and a fear of offending His majesty.
6. It is the Judgments of the Lord (which) are true and righteous altogether (19:9). God's judgments are in accordance with His Holy and Righteous Nature and are for His glory and man's good.
The psalmist expresses well what our feelings should be concerning the Word of God. It is more to be desired . . . than gold, yea, than much fine gold (Psalms 19:10).
As the One of Whom the psalms say: They pierced My hands and My feet . . . . They part My garments among them, and cast lots upon My vesture (robe) (Psalms 22:16). Nails pierced His hands and feet on the cross (John 19:18). Roman soldiers said: Let us not rend it (His robe), but cast lots for it (19:24). See also Matthew 27:35; Mark 15:24; Luke 23:34.
18:2 horn of my salvation = my strong deliverer; 18:26 froward (first use) = crooked; perverse; froward (second use) = unfavorable; opposed; 18:45 close places = fortresses or strongholds; 22:5 confounded = put to shame; 22:7 shoot out the lip = ridicule, hurl insults; 22:17 tell = count.
Government Officials: Rep. Jane Harman (CA), Rep. Jim Kolbe (AZ), Sen. Carl Levin (MI), Rep. Major Owens (NY), and Rep. Ed Pastor (AZ) · Pray for the President · Country: Lebanon (4 million) in the Middle East · Major languages: Arabic and French · Limited religious freedom · 67% Muslim; 19% Roman Catholic; 10% Eastern Orthodox; 1% Protestant · Prayer Suggestion: Pray for the Lord to give you the right words to share Christ with others (Matthew 10:18-20).
Optional Reading: Colossians 1
Memory Verse for the Week: John 8:31-32