Strategies for Building a Quiet Time with God - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - February 12, 2017
Strategies for Building a Quiet Time with God
By Rick Warren
“But more than anything else, put God’s work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well” (Matthew 6:33 CEV).
Everyone struggles with quiet-time consistency from time to time. Know that if you’re struggling with it, you’re not alone! The good news is that with a common problem come some common solutions. Next time you find yourself struggling with your daily quiet time — or even before you start to struggle — try some of these solutions:
1. Make a covenant. Commit to God that you’ll spend at least some time with him every day of your life, even if it’s just two minutes — not because everyone else is doing it, but because you want to spend time with Jesus. Put your commitment in writing.
2. Put it in your weekly schedule. Put it on your computer, your phone, or wherever you keep your schedule. Block out in advance a time to meet with God every day, just as you would a doctor’s appointment, a business lunch, or a meeting with your boss.
3. Be prepared for the attacks of the Devil. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.The devil will do whatever he can to keep you away from your time with God. Be on your guard and prepared for the attacks.
4. Do it for six weeks straight. Psychologists say it takes about six weeks for a habit to develop. It takes about three weeks to get familiar with a new task or new behavior. It takes about another three weeks before it becomes a solid habit in your life. Most people have never been consistent in their daily time with God because they’ve never made it past the six-week barrier without missing a day.
5. Depend on God-power, not willpower. You can only succeed by the power of God’s Spirit. Ask God to strengthen you and give you the mind of Christ, so you’ll depend on him to help you develop this habit. If you just depend on willpower, you don’t have any hope to stay consistent.
Jesus wants you to spend time with him. He died on the cross to give you fellowship with him. You don’t have time not to do this. Jesus said in Matthew 6:33, “But more than anything else, put God’s work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well”(CEV). Make time for God, and it’ll change your life.
Talk It Over
- What steps will you take today to become consistent in your quiet time?
- Why is a consistent quiet time with God critical to your Christian growth? How does your answer to this question line up with the way you have a quiet time?
- What is the work that God has told you he wants you to do (Matthew 6:33)? How have you made it a priority in your life?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Reignite and stregthen your passion for God's Word! The 40 Days in the Word Study Kit is a 6-session study from Rick Warren that will show you how to LOVE the Word, LEARN the Word, and LIVE the Word.
We were meant to not just be “hearers” of the Word, but also “doers” of God’s Word. Take a step and experience the Bible like never before.
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.