Build Your Life on a Solid Foundation: God’s Word - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - February 27, 2017
Build Your Life on a Solid Foundation: God’s Word
By Rick Warren
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock” (Matthew 7:24 NIV).
The foundation of a house tells you how big the house can get. You can’t put a big house on a small or faulty foundation. It’ll collapse every time.
The same is true for our lives. You can’t become what God wants you to be on a faulty foundation. We’re given a lot of different options for what will be the foundation of our lives:
- Popular culture. Some people think they’ll simply do what every other person is doing. If it’s popular, that’s what they do, too. Yet what’s popular today won’t be popular tomorrow. Basing your life on popular culture is like building a house on a constantly moving foundation. It doesn’t work!
- Tradition. Other people build their lives on what has always been done or how their parents did it. That does make a little sense. Tradition becomes tradition because it works. But no tradition lasts forever. It eventually wears out, becomes obsolete, and is invalid. In Mark 7:8 Jesus tells the Pharisees never to put tradition before truth. It’s a good reminder for all of us.
- Reason. God gave us the ability to reason; we need to use it. But our reason isn’t infallible. Proverbs 16:25 says, “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death”(NIV). The smartest among us will falter at times; it’s to be expected. Only God can be trusted all the time.
- Emotions. Some build their lives on a feeling. If it feels right, they do it. But feelings lie — they lie all the time! You lie to yourself more than anyone else. If you live by your feelings, you’ll spend your life manipulated by your moods.
If it doesn’t work to build your life on popular culture, tradition, reason, or emotion, what should you build your life upon? God’s Word.
Jesus says this in Matthew 7:24: “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock” (NIV).
Popular culture changes, traditions grow stale, reason can be faulty, and emotions lie. Yet God’s Word never changes.
You may not always understand his Word. You may not always like it. It won’t always be politically correct.
But it’s the only thing stable enough to build our lives upon.
Talk It Over
- On what have you built the foundation of your life? How is it holding up?
- What distractions in your life keep you from fully building your foundation on God’s Word?
- Why is it difficult sometimes to put God’s truth before tradition?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Get more out of God’s Word!
Being a faithful follower of Christ isn’t just about reading God’s Word. You have to hear it, reflect on it, AND apply it to your life
The 40 Days in the Word complete audio series is our gift to thank you for your financial support of Daily Hope. Simply request your copy available as a boxed CD set or by MP3 download when you give below.
Thank you for your support to help more people learn, love and live God’s Word!
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.