Focus on What Is Unseen
By Rick Warren
“Things that are seen don’t last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That’s why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen” (2 Corinthians 4:18 CEV).
Everything you see around you is temporary. It’s what you can’t see that will last forever.
And those realities are what truly matter.
The truth is, spiritual realities are more real than physical ones. We need to focus on the spiritual ones — what’s really real. There are five spiritual realities all of us need to take to heart.
- God made you to love you (see Jeremiah 31:3). God created you to love you, and he wants you to learn to love him back. This is the most important reality of life.
- You were made to last forever (see Ecclesiastes 3:11). The evangelist Billy Graham talked about death this way: “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.” He is in the presence of God now.
- God has prepared two eternal places. Both Heaven and Hell are real, literal places. They’re not just “states of being.”
- You get to choose where you’ll spend eternity. You won’t accidentally find yourself in Hell one day. You’ll be there because of a choice you made. If you choose to make Jesus the boss of your life, you’ll spend eternity with him in Heaven. If you choose to reject him, you’ll spend forever in Hell. There is no middle option.
- You get no second chances to make your choice. Your choice has a time limit. You have your entire life to make the decision, but you can’t change your mind after death.
What you do with these five truths will not only affect your eternal destiny, it will also transform how you live on this side of eternity.
We live in uncertain times, so if you haven’t already made the choice for Jesus, don’t hesitate from doing so today?
If you’re ready to commit your life to Jesus, then pray this prayer:
“Dear Jesus, you have promised that if I believe in you, everything I’ve ever done wrong will be forgiven, I will learn the purpose of my life, and you will accept me into your eternal home in heaven one day.
“I confess my sin, and I believe that you are God, my Savior. I receive you into my life as my Lord. Today, I’m turning over every part of my life to your management. You have the right to call the shots in my life.
“Jesus, I want to relax in your love. Thank you that I don’t have to earn it, deserve it, or work for it. I want to use the rest of my life to serve you instead of serving myself. I humbly commit my life to you, and I ask you to save me and accept me into your family. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
“Perhaps the most important role you can play in the life of a child is teaching them to trust God through prayer. It’s the key to living with hope.” —Pastor Rick
That’s why it’s so important to strengthen the hope of kids by introducing them to Jesus’ model for prayer at an early age. And we’re excited to help you do that with Pastor Rick’s children’s book, The Lord’s Prayer: Words of Hope and Happiness.
Filled with thoughtful insights from Pastor Rick as well as stunning illustrations from award-winning artist, Richard Jesse Watson, this book brings the poetic scripture from the King James Version alive for readers young and old. It’s sure to become a meaningful bedtime ritual, a treasured memory, and by God’s grace, a legacy that bears good fruit for generations to come.
This book is a perfect way to share the beauty and richness of The Lord’s Prayer with the children the Lord has placed in your life. And it’s our thanks for your gift below to help Daily Hope take the Good News to more people everywhere. So please request a copy for yourself or a friend today, and thanks for your generosity!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.