Three Mistakes to Avoid When Seeking God’s Will - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - March 21, 2020
Three Mistakes to Avoid When Seeking God’s Will
By Rick Warren
“The steps of a man are established by the LORD . . . When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the LORD is the One who holds his hand” (Psalm 37:23-24 NASB).
You may be at what you think is a dead end in your life. “We’re never going to get out of debt!” “I’m never going to have a baby.” “My dream is never going to come true.” “How is it ever going to work out?”
Right now it may look dark, you may feel defeated, and God’s will may seem like a mystery to you. But one day you’re going to see in the light of eternity how it all fits together in God’s plan. Until then, here are three steps you can take as you seek God’s will that will help you trust in him more.
1. Don’t be fatalistic. The idea of fatalism—that everything that happens is God’s will—leads to self-pity. It causes us to blame God for everything bad in our lives rather than accepting responsibility when we caused the problem. And, fatalism leads to passivity. It makes us think we’re waiting on God to bring us a spouse or get us a job. God’s saying, “I gave you a brain! I gave you two feet! Get out and do something about it!”
2. Don’t be frustrated. If you try to figure out everything in your life, you’re going to be very frustrated. Sometimes you’re going to do what you think is God’s will, and it’s going to fail.
What do you do when there are no answers? You keep trusting God, knowing that he’s working on your character through all of your circumstances and that he has good plans for you.
3. Don’t be fearful. The root problem of fear is doubting God’s love. The Bible says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18 NASB). We always get into trouble when we doubt God’s love, because when we don’t trust him, we don’t obey him.
Psalm 37:23-24 says, “The steps of a man are established by the LORD . . . When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the LORD is the One who holds his hand” (NASB).
God’s will is an expression of his love. When you don’t understand what God is doing, have patience. God knows what’s best for you. You can’t see the end result yet, but he can. God’s path may be a path of pain, but all those delays, difficulties, and problems are building character in your life.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Prayer is Essential: Grow Your Prayer Life in 2021!
Your peace of mind, spiritual health, and capacity for impact all depend on prayer.
That’s why we’re excited to send you the brand-new “Growing Your Prayer Life” Daily Hope Prayer Journal as thanks for your #GivingTuesday gift below!
Designed to help you pray more faithfully and effectively, this practical tool offers many benefits to strengthen your prayer life in 2021, including . . .
• Bible verses and suggestions to help you pray for specific people and situations
• Practical encouragement for your prayer life from Pastor Rick
• Plenty of space to write out your prayer requests and record how God answers them
And for TODAY ONLY, a special $25,000 #GivingTuesday Matching Grant will DOUBLE your gift to help reach every nation, race, and culture with the transforming power of Jesus Christ! So, get your copy of the new Daily Hope Prayer Journal when you give below.
Thank you for helping bring the hope that only comes through Jesus Christ to more people around the world!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.