Having a Heart for God
"The Lord sought out for Himself a man after His own heart, and the Lord has appointed him as ruler over His people." 1 Samuel 13:14
When I was a freshman at the University of Texas, I began to study the Bible. As I did, I fell in love with the stories of David. He was an amazing person – strong, handsome, courageous, wise, tough, and tender. While he possessed so many great attributes, the one thing that really set him apart was his heart. He is the only one in the Bible described as “a man after God’s own heart.”
GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART
When God chose David to be king in Israel, David was just a kid, probably no more than fourteen. His father, Jesse, didn’t even think to invite him to the “anointing feast” because he was so young. Jesse thought to himself, “Certainly, God would not have little David as king.” But, God sees past the outward appearance. He sees down into the heart. And David’s heart was special to God. What was his heart like?
1. He had a passionate heart. David loved God sincerely and supremely. He did not play at his worship. He really had a desire in his heart to walk with God and please God. His heart was completely His (Psalm 103).
2. He had a humble heart. David never lost sight of the fact that he was nothing and God was everything. He never started believing his own press clippings. He knew all his success came from God (2 Samuel 7:18).
3. He had a dependent heart. David depended on God, not himself. He sought God early and often throughout the day (Psalms 63).
4. He had a grateful heart. David gave praise and thanks to God regardless of His circumstances. He knew God was worthy of praise, even if everything in his life seemed to be falling apart (Psalms 34).
5. He had a repentant heart. We all know that David was a great sinner. The story of Bathsheba proves it. But unlike King Saul before him, when David sinned, he confessed his sins to God and turned from them. He repented and got his heart right with the Lord (Psalms 51).
HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?
How does your heart look to God? Are you moving in the right direction in these all- important heart areas? Do you need some spiritual surgery to get your heart beating for the Lord?
God wants YOU to be a person after His own heart. In order to do it, you must confess any sins and ask Him to soften you and change you on the inside. Spend time with the Lord each day. Talk to Him from your heart. Share your burdens with Him, seek His face, and obey Him. Jesus wants to be your closest friend on the planet … if you will only let Him.
To read additional devotionals click here.
Jeff Schreve is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church in Texarkana, Texas. He and his wife Debbie have been married for over 20 years and are blessed with three wonderful girls. Jeff began From His Heart Ministries, a radio and television ministry, in January of 2005. This ministry is completely listener/viewer supported. It continues only through the faithful and generous gifts of people like you. Pastor Jeff takes no salary from this ministry. All gifts go to further the broadcast.
Jesus taught us many things through His parables, including how to live life to the fullest!
And Pastor Jeff Schreve shows you Christ’s special insight in his new 7-message CD series, The Mysteries of the Kingdom: A Study of the Parables of Jesus. All 7 messages on CD are our thank you for your online gift of any amount to From His Heart in March!