GOD'S ANSWER FOR OUR FEARS
After Jesus fed the multitudes with the fives loaves and two fish, He made His disciples get into the boat while He went up to the mountain to pray. The disciples were to travel across the upper portion of the Sea of Galilee to Capernaum, a relatively short trip from their starting point of Bethsaida Julius.
During the night time boat ride, a fierce storm arose that blew them into the middle of the sea. They were straining at the oars, getting nowhere fast. The winds were whipping the water about them. After hours and hours of fighting the stormy sea, the disciples were on edge, no doubt wondering if they might drown.
In the fourth watch of the night (around 4:00 a.m.), Jesus came to then, walking on the sea. The disciples freaked out! Their already frayed nerves were not able to process this impossible turn of events. They determined this figure walking toward them must be a ghost … with ghostly intentions. Suffice it to say, they were scared to death in the midst of their storm!
THE THING ABOUT STORMS
1. Storms can take us by surprise. Life really does turn on a dime … and we cannot control it. One phone call, one routine doctor’s visit, or one short trip in the car can alter our lives dramatically.
2. Storms can make us fearful. There is no getting around the presence of fear in the midst of the storm.
3. Storms can make us question. Where is Jesus? Why did He not protect me from this storm? Why has it been so long and He has not come to rescue me?
THE THING ABOUT JESUS
1. His voice calms our fears. Seeing Jesus on the stormy sea just heightened their fear as their minds deceived them in to thinking they were seeing a ghost. Hearing Jesus’ voice brought peace to their hearts.
2. His Word opens our eyes. Jesus literally said to those fearful followers, “Take courage, I AM.” I AM the Great I AM. I AM the God who made it all. I AM the One who is in complete control of everything. The stormy sea that is threatening to be over your head is already under my feet. Do not be afraid. The Great I AM is here!
3. His power brings us through. When Jesus got into the boat, the wind ceased, and they were miraculously transported from the middle of the sea to the shore. He brought them through this terrible trial … and He will do the same for you in your stormy sea!
4. He is worthy to be worshiped. I love the way this passage ends in Matthew’s gospel. When Jesus retrieves Peter from his sinking spell, they both get into the boat. Certainly, there was a moment of stunned silence as the disciples looked at Him and fully realized who He was and is—Jehovah God. And they worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God” (Matthew 14:33).
Are you facing some fearful storms today? Does the Lord seem far away in the midst of your difficulty? Let me assure you that He is not. He sees you, He cares for you, and He will see you through. There is no problem too big for Him to solve. There is no situation too great for the Great I AM. Rest in His presence and in His Word today. Your Deliverer is on His way to you!
Pastor Jeff Schreve,
From His Heart Ministries
P.S. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Direct questions and comments to email@example.com.
Dr. Jeff Schreve believes that no matter how badly you may have messed up in life, God still loves you and has a wonderful plan just for you. From His Heart provides real truth, love and hope on over 700 radio stations each day, in 149 countries each week on TV, and is always available online. Pastor Jeff takes no income from this ministry. All donations go to furthering the broadcast outreach. As a listener/viewer supported ministry, we thank you for joining with us to help speak the truth in love to a lost and hurting world. Go to www.fromhisheart.org for more information.
Believe and See
The old adage says, "Seeing is believing." But, Jesus said you must believe first in order to see. A step of faith is required to see a move of God. In this inspiring series, Dr. Jeff Schreve shares spiritual truths to strengthen and encourage our faith.