A HEART FOR GOD
The Lord has sought out for Himself a man after His own heart,
and the Lord has appointed him as ruler over His people.
1 Samuel 13:14
When I was a freshman at The University of Texas, I began to study the Bible. As I did, I fell in love with the stories of David. He was an amazing person – strong, handsome, courageous, wise, tough and tender. While he possessed so many great qualities, the one thing that really set him apart was his heart. He is the only one in the Bible described as “a man after God’s own heart.”
GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART
God sees past the outward appearance. He sees down into the heart. The reason He chose David to lead His people was because of David’s heart. What was his heart like?
1. He had a passionate heart. David loved God sincerely and supremely. He did not play at his worship. He really had a desire in his heart to walk with God and please God. His heart was completely His – Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name (Ps. 103:1).
2. He had a humble heart. David never lost sight of the fact that he was nothing, and Jehovah God was everything. He never started believing his own press clippings. He knew all his success came from God – Then David the king went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far? (2 Sam. 7:18).
3. He had a dependent heart. David depended on God, not himself. He knew that the one who trusts in his own heart is a fool. He sought God early and often throughout the day – O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water (Ps. 63:1).
4. He had a grateful heart. David gave praise and thanks to God regardless of His circumstances. He knew God was worthy of praise… even if everything seemed to be falling apart around him – I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Thy wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High (Ps. 9:1-2).
5. He had a repentant heart. When David sinned (and he sinned some terrible sins), He came to God with repentance and sought His forgiveness. Unlike his predecessor, King Saul, David dealt with his sins and got his heart right with God – I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah. (Psalm 32:5).
HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?
How does your heart look to God? Are you moving in the right direction in these all- important heart issues? Could it be that you need some spiritual surgery?
God wants YOU to be a person after His own heart. In order to do it, you must confess any sins and ask Him to soften and change your heart. Spend time with the Lord each day. Talk to Him, honestly, openly and reverently. Share your burdens with Him, seek His face… and obey Him.
Jesus really does want to be your closest friend on the planet… if you will only let Him.
Pastor Jeff Schreve,
From His Heart Ministries
P.S. I would love to hear from you this week. Click here to email me about how I can pray for you.
Dr. Jeff Schreve believes that no matter how badly you may have messed up in life, God still loves you and has a wonderful plan just for you. From His Heart provides real truth, love and hope on over 700 radio stations each day, in 182 countries each week on TV, and is always available online. Pastor Jeff takes no income from this ministry. All donations go to furthering the broadcast outreach. As a listener/viewer supported ministry, we thank you for joining with us to help speak the truth in love to a lost and hurting world. Go to www.fromhisheart.org for more information.
Witness: Shine for Christ – Share Your Story
Jesus said, "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses ...." A Christian's purpose is to shine for Christ and share what great things He has done for you. In this powerful 7-message series, Pastor Jeff Schreve shares practical, motivating truths from Scripture that will help you become the witness for Jesus you were created to be.