HomeWord - Nov. 7, 2006
A Sense of Wonder
This devotional was written by Robin Dugall
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14
Lately, I’ve been taking more and more time to reflect on the fast pace of life. I’ve thought it through extensively, looking for excuses to blow through life at a supersonic pace. You know what I’ve found? There are so many things that we rob ourselves of when the pace of living goes up and up. It seems like the faster we move, the more we miss. Not only do we miss the wonders of God’s creation all around us, such as sunsets, flowers, the beauty of a smile, and the awesomeness of the changing of the seasons, but we also miss out on one of the greatest wonders in life: the person who God has created us to be. When was the last time you took a moment and simply reflected on the miracle of you? When was the last time you thought about how wonderfully complex you are? Here are some amazing facts I read recently about how God has made you:
- 50,000 of the cells in your body will die and be replaced with new cells; all while you have been reading this sentence!
- In one hour, your heart works hard enough to produce the equivalent energy to raise almost 1 ton of weight 1 yard off the ground.
- Scientists have counted over 500 different liver functions.
- In 1 square inch of skin there lies 4 yards of nerve fibers, 1300 nerve cells, 100 sweat glands, 3 million cells, and 3 yards of blood vessels.
- There are 45 miles of nerves in the skin of a human being.
- In a year, a person’s heart beats 40,000,000 times.
- Most people blink about 25 times a minute.
- Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
- Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
10. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
Amazing, isn’t it? What a wonder you are! I love this quote from
To comment on today's devotional, click here .
1. What are some of the wonders in this world that you feel like you’ve missed because your pace of life has been as fast as it is? If you lived your life at a slower pace, what would you want to make sure you didn’t miss in life?
2. What are parts of your life that, if you took a minute or two, would inspire you to praise God? How are you fearfully and wonderfully made?
Psalm 139; Psalm 119:73-80
Encouraging Parents…Building Families
Other FREE resources from HomeWord and Jim Burns: