The Simple Secret to a Great New Year - New Year Devotional - December 27
EDITOR'S NOTE: Crosswalk will proudly present one New Year's-themed devotional per day during a season running from the day after Christmas through the first three weeks of January. Check back every day for a new devotional reflection about fresh starts, resolutions, growth and change, featuring the God who makes all things new. And Happy New Year!
THE SIMPLE SECRET TO A GREAT NEW YEAR
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.
I have never been good at being a handyman. Things that are a piece of cake to a handyman are like climbing Mt. Everest to me.
One time Debbie asked me to put in a doggie door. She said, "You can do it, Jeff. The box says, "Simple installation." "Simple is good," I responded as I opened the box with gusto.
The very first instruction was to get out my electric drill. That is when I knew their definition of "simple" and mine were quite different. With "simple" instructions, I would have been told to get out my hammer. Now that is simple! (Note: the doggie door installation was so NOT simple that I had to call my friend Gene over to help me before I completely lost my salvation).
DO YOU LIKE SIMPLE?
If you like simple, you are going to love my simple secret to a great new year. First, get out your electric drill (just kidding).
The simple secret is this: To experience a great year, just do what Jesus said, “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things [the things you and I worry about] shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33). If you will seek Him first, He promises to meet all your needs.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SEEK HIM FIRST?
1. It means that you spend time with Him at the first of each day, praying and reading His Word, asking Him for direction, guidance, help and insight ... confessing your sins when you blow it, and seeking His grace to help in your time of need.
2. It means you put His agenda above your agenda. You pray, “Not my will, but Thine be done” (Luke 22:42). You live your life to please Jesus, not to please yourself.
3. It means you obey Him and do what He says in the power He supplies. You don't let your fleshly desires control you; you let Jesus control you.
4. It means you invest your time, talent and resources in the kingdom of God, not the kingdom of self.
5. It means you recognize that He is everything, and in Christ “are hidden all treasures of wisdom and knowledge”( Colossians 2:3). The true treasures of life—love, joy, peace, fulfillment, true success—are only found in Jesus ... so you spend your time seeking Him.
SIMPLE STARTS NOW!
Don't wait for the ball to drop in Times Square before seeking first the kingdom of God. Start now! Put Jesus first every day you are blessed to live... and He will bless your life abundantly in return.
One of my favorite Scriptures says, “For those who honor Me, I will honor” (1 Samuel 2:30). If you want God to honor you, honor Him in all you do. The best is yet to be... and the ball is in your court.
Pastor Jeff Schreve,
From His Heart Ministries
Dr. Jeff Schreve believes that no matter how badly you may have messed up in life, God still loves you and has a wonderful plan just for you. From His Heart provides real truth, love and hope on over 700 radio stations each day, in 182 countries each week on TV, and is always available online. Pastor Jeff takes no income from this ministry. All donations go to furthering the broadcast outreach. As a listener/viewer supported ministry, we thank you for joining with us to help speak the truth in love to a lost and hurting world. Go to www.fromhisheart.org for more information.