“And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.” - John 17:3
Knowing God is imperative for salvation—you can’t go to heaven unless you know God through Christ. In his prayer for his disciples, including those who follow him today, Jesus said, “This is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth” (John 17:3). People need to know that God can be known.
Knowing God does not involve knowing everything about him (we’d have to be God to know all that). But God has given us knowledge that is totally adequate for personal salvation. God has given us this knowledge of himself in five main ways:
1. Nature—nature reveals the Creator (Psalm 19:1-4; Romans 1:20).
2. Conscience—God has put into people’s hearts a natural understanding of right and wrong (Hebrews 10:16).
3. The Ten Commandments—God’s requirements for people (Exodus 20:1-17).
4. Old and New Testaments—all that we need to know to be saved and to live for him (Psalm 119:55, 68, 73; 2 Timothy 3:16).
5. Christ—if we would know God, we must know Christ. (John 1:14; 10:30; 14:6-9).
God has given all the information people need in order to turn to him and be saved. Knowing Jesus is the way to have true peace and eternal life with God. Come to Jesus and find God. Then begin the adventure of knowing God more and more every day, and begin the anticipation of knowing and enjoying him forever.
For Further Study: John 17:1-26
Excerpted from The One Year Devotions for Women, Copyright ©2000 by Jill Briscoe. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.
For more from Jill Briscoe, please visit tellingthetruth.org.
Have your gift DOUBLED today!
A group of generous friends has stepped forward with a $35,000 Matching Grant – which will DOUBLE any gift you give today! As a thank you for your gift, we’ll send you Stuart Briscoe’s new 3-message teaching series, Finding Healing, to help you experience God’s healing power in your life.