The Cost of Giving
by Charles R. Swindoll
Can you recall Jesus' radical philosophy: "Be a servant, give to others"? The basis of that statement is tucked away in Luke 9:23. Following Christ is a costly, unselfish decision. He says: "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me."
When you look closely at Jesus' statement, a couple of things seem important. First, those who desire to follow Him closely must come to terms with self-denial. And second, this decision to give ourselves to others (taking up our cross) has to be a daily matter.
Some questions we must ask and answer ourselves are:
- Am I serious about being a follower of Jesus Christ?
- Do I think of others to such an extent that self-denial is becoming the rule rather than the exception in my life?
- Is my walk with Him a daily thing?
- A thorough self-examination is one of the requisites for following closely. Paul tells us to abound in generosity, be givers, be people who excel in unselfishness. That's costly stuff, terribly expensive. Can you pay the price?
Don't kid yourself; where your treasure is, your heart will be also.
Those who desire to follow Jesus closely must come to terms with self-denial. —Chuck Swindoll Tweet This
Excerpted from Day by Day with Charles Swindoll, Copyright © 2000 by Charles R. Swindoll, Inc. (Thomas Nelson Publishers). All rights reserved worldwide. Used by permission.
In Appreciation of Your Gift . . .
Three Years with Jesus: A Pictorial Journey Through the Ministry of Christ
In appreciation of your support of Insight for Living Ministries, you can choose to receive this resource when you donate today.
This 72-page coffee table book includes stunning, full-color photographs, devotional reflections from Chuck Swindoll, and a chronological look at events in Jesus' ministry.Travel the places Jesus walked, converse with the people He healed, and witness evidence of Deity in human form.
- See more at: http://www.insight.org/resources/devotionals/the-cost-of-giving.html#sthash.Y5sbudnP.dpuf
Used with permission. All rights reserved.