20 Verses for Taming Temptation
- Dr. David Jeremiah Turning Point
- 2016 21 Jun
Temptation is a fork in the road. It's the presentation of a choice of which road to travel: the high one or the low one.
Wouldn't life be easier if there were no forks, no decisions to make—if the road were simply a straight and narrow path? But the Bible gives us no magic formulas for that kind of life. It assures us that we’ll come to those forks regularly, and we must choose where to step. Some forks will lead down roads of sexual immorality, some of gluttony, some of materialism, some of revenge, and too many more to name. If we could see the road map, it might look like a plate of spaghetti.
As a matter of fact, the wiser and more mature in Christ we become, the more treacherous and subtle are the choices. They don't become easier, but more difficult, for the devil is no fool. The advanced level earns you advanced opposition. The important thing to remember is that you're walking with the Lord on that journey. He will hold your hand and He will never fail to point out the direction that’s right and true.
It never becomes easier, but it becomes more rewarding. The founder of Dallas Theological Seminary, Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer, once said that committed Christians are placed on the front lines of the battle. It's the place where the enemy's fiercest pressure is felt, but it also offers the best view of his crushing defeat. You'll never grow beyond the power of temptation. You'll see it in ever-new and more devious forms. But your eyes will be filled with the glorious sights God reserves for those who follow Him with the utmost devotion.
When you find yourself on the front lines of battle, stand firm and fight.
SEE ALSO: Do You Know What God Thinks about Sex?
Here are 20 truths from Scripture to help you tame the temptations you encounter as you pursue a life of holiness in the Lord:
1. "Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry."
1 Corinthians 10:12-14 (ESV)
2. "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
Hebrews 4:15-16 (ESV)
3. "And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen."
4. "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
5. "Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until an opportune time."
6. "Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body."
1 Corinthians 6:18
7. "But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and intomany foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition."
1 Timothy 6:9
8. "Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."
2 Timothy 2:22
9. "For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted."
10. "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
11. "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts."
12. "Do not enter the path of the wicked,
And do not walk in the way of evil.
Avoid it, do not travel on it;
Turn away from it and pass on."
13. "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."
14. "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
16. "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world."
1 Peter 5:8-9
17. "Your word I have hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you."
18. "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now keep Your word."
19. "Thus says the Lord: 'Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord…. 'Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes…'"
Jeremiah 17:5, 7-8
20. "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."
Publication date: June 21, 2016