What are Helpful Resources for a Long Distance Relationship?
- Kris Swiatocho and Cliff Young The Singles Network Ministries, Crosswalk.com Contributing Writer
- Updated May 27, 2015
EDITOR'S NOTE: He Said-She Said is a biweekly advice column for singles featuring a question from a Crosswalk.com reader with responses from a male and female point of view. If you've got a question about anything related to singleness or living the single life, please submit it to email@example.com (selected questions will be posted anonymously).
QUESTION: I have recently begun dating someone who is wonderful in every way. I see so much potential in our relationship and I want for us to grow together both emotionally and spiritually. I believe it is very important for couples to grow in their faith together, and it can be hard to do that in a long distance relationship, because we cannot go to church together. Can you point me to some resources for long distance relationships? A couple's devotional, books, articles, websites, or tips would be much appreciated!
- The Blessing – Gary Smalley and John Trent explores how we were raised influences how we often treat others, and methods to overcome it.
- Five Love Languages – Gary Chapman helps you to discover your personal “love language” so you’ll know what fills your “love tank” along with understanding the actions necessary to fill your partner’s.
- Love and Respect – Dr. Emerson Eggerichs delves into the differences between communication styles men and women have, in order to identify and stop the cycles we often find ourselves in.
- 101 Questions to Ask before you Get Engaged by H. Norman Wright
- Matched for Marriage, Meant for Life by Nate Stevens (great book)
- Love, Sex and Lasting Relationships by Chip Ingram
- Discovering Intimacy: Experiencing Great Commandment Love in Single Adult Relationships: Leader's Guide by David Ferguson (workbook, video, and CD)
- 5 Love Languages for Singles by Gary Chapman
- Boundaries in Dating by Henry Cloud, John Townsend
- Before You Say "I Do": A Marriage Preparation Manual for Couples by Norman Wright, Wes Roberts (very good!)
- This free video series
HE is … Cliff Young, a Crosswalk.com contributing writer and a veteran single of many decades. He has traveled the world in search of fresh experiences, serving opportunities, and the perfect woman (for him) and has found that his investments in God, career and youth ministry have paid off in priceless dividends.
SHE is ... Kris Swiatocho, the President and Director of TheSinglesNetwork.org Ministries and FromHisHands.com Ministries. Kris has served in ministry in various capacities for the last 25 years. An accomplished trainer and mentor, Kris has a heart to reach and grow leaders so they will in turn reach and grow others. She is also the author of three books.
DISCLAIMER: We are not trained psychologists or licensed professionals. We're just average folk who understand what it's like to live the solo life in the twenty-first century. We believe that the Bible is our go-to guide for answers to all of life's questions, and it's where we'll go for guidance when responding to your questions. Also, it's important to note that we write our answers separately.
GOT A QUESTION? If you've got a question about anything related to singleness or living the single life, please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org (selected questions will be posted anonymously). While we are unable to answer every inquiry, we do hope that this column will be an encouragement to you. Click here to visit the He Said-She Said archives.