The Best Way to Meet Singles: Live With Passion
- 2007 14 May
In my opinion, the best way to meet mature singles is to follow the desires that Christ puts within your heart. The Christian life is not about dating, careers, or getting married. The Christian life is about living in union with a Person – Jesus Christ.
Jesus gives you desires to explore new interests and meet new people (Ephesians 2:10). How do you recognize His desires? Start by asking yourself, What have I always wanted to do? Where have I always wanted to go? Christ doesn’t give ideas that are boring, abstract, or irresponsible. Following your heart means pursuing something that truly makes you passionate. It could be starting a new business, exploring a new hobby, traveling to a new place, attending a new church, or moving to a new location. Like me, you might even desire to write a book!
People respect those who follow their dreams. Therefore, if you pursue the aspirations that Christ puts in your heart, you can become more attractive to others. In addition, you may meet someone who shares your passion, and suddenly you have a new friend.
We all want to live the abundant life that Christ spoke about in John 10:10. Yet He said that this abundant life would only occur as we let Him live it through us (John 15:4-7). He has a wonderful adventure planned for you. It may involve living in a small, quiet town, or it may take you around the world. Regardless of what His plan looks like, it will fulfill you.
To explore your internal urgings from Jesus, consider what is the passion of your heart. If you are unsure, take a small step of faith and try something. You might begin by volunteering some where, taking a class, or signing up for a short-term mission trip. Expose yourself to the things that you really want to do.
Jesus is your true Husband and Provider, and part of His pro vision is to lead you into new relationships. So pursue the passion that Christ puts within your heart. You never know who you might meet.
Great First-Date Activities
A fun way to start a dating relationship is to learn a new hobby together. It helps foster communication and creates respect. Here are some great first-date ideas that you can try together:
- Take a dance lesson: swing, salsa, ballroom.
- Take a sports lesson: tennis, golf, rock climbing, kayaking.
- Take an art class: painting, sketching, pottery. (Some cities have art cafés in which you can paint or work with pottery while you enjoy a meal together.)
Your first date should consist of an activity that stimulates conversation. Here are several ideas to help you keep the discussion flowing:
- Visit an art gallery.
- Visit a botanical garden.
- Visit an amusement park.
- Visit the zoo (a proven winner).
- Visit a state park or nature center.
- Visit a history, art, or science museum.
- Visit a church service or Bible study and go for coffee afterward.
- Play board games together.
- Go horseback riding.
- Go ice skating.
- Go whitewater rafting with a group.
- Go to a coffee shop or a dessert café.
- Go inline skating or bicycling at a local park.
- Go on a picnic (girls, make sure it’s in a public place).
- Go to a sporting event.
Some first-date activities prevent good conversation or pre maturely encourage physical activity. Here are some activities you might want to avoid on your first date:
- concerts (too loud to talk)
- movies (no chance to talk)
- the theater (too quiet to talk)
- comedy clubs (trashy, sexual language)
- loud restaurants or sports bars (too distracting to talk)
- renting a movie (risk of getting physical prematurely)
- a picnic in a secluded area (risk of physical danger)
Rob Eagar is a gifted writer and speaker who has helped thousands of singles, young adults and college students build passionate relationships. His message has been featured on the "CBS Early Show," on CNN Radio, and in Christian Single magazine. Rob resides with his wife, Ashley, in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information, visit www.RobEagar.com.