Three Mental Barriers to Hearing God’s Voice
By Rick Warren
“Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls” (James 1:21 NLT).
We’ve all noticed that the reception quality on a cell phone varies widely. The same is true with you. You must be positioned correctly to hear God speak.
Sometimes we don’t give God a chance to talk to us. We’ve made up our minds. We want to do what we want to do, not what God wants us to do. Our hearts are hardened, and we’re unwilling to listen.
When you have a closed mind, of course he’s not going to talk to you!
But if you really want to hear from God — and what believer doesn’t? — you have to understand what is keeping you from hearing from God. Here are three mental barriers that keep your mind closed to God’s message.
1. Pride. If you think you don’t need God in your life and you want to handle things yourself, you’re probably not listening for God to speak. Pride keeps you from being open to the possibility that God might want to say something to you.
2. Fear. A lot of people can’t hear God because they’re afraid to hear God speak. Maybe you think that hearing God’s voice or sensing his leading makes you some kind of religious fanatic.
3. Bitterness. When you hold on to hurt, resentment, or a grudge, you’re not going to be able to hear God, because your heart is hardened. It has grown cold and made you defensive, even to God’s love.
Perhaps you have been hurt badly, maybe this week or even years ago, and you’re still holding on to it. I want to tell you that you’ve got to let it go. Not for another person’s sake, but for your sake. The resentment is killing you! Resentment is a self-inflicted wound that allows people from your past to continue to hurt you today. You need to let it go, not because they deserve forgiveness but because you need to get on with your life. You need to get rid of the bitterness, fear, and pride that keep you from hearing God’s voice and living out his purpose for your life.
James 1:21 says, “Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls” (NLT).
“Humbly accept” means you let go of your pride and stop trying to figure it out on your own. This is the key to opening your mind and heart so that you can hear from the Lord.
Talk It Over
How do you hear God’s voice or sense his leading? In what ways has he spoken to you?
What changes do you need to make in your life so that you can get rid of the “filth and evil” and hear God’s voice?
Why do we sometimes equate hearing God’s voice with religious fanaticism?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
40 Days of Prayer Study Kit
Get the key to breaking through your struggles!
Whether it’s your health, finances, marriage, or relationships, chances are you need God to transform some part of our life. You’re looking for a breakthrough.
And the thing about breakthroughs is that they always begin with prayer.
That’s why we’re excited to offer Pastor Rick’s brand-new study kit 40 Days of Prayer as thanks for your gift to share the hope of Christ through Daily Hope.
This 7-week video study includes the 40 Days of Prayer workbook and DVD, and it can help you…
• Learn to pray for breakthroughs
• Develop a daily habit of prayer
• Understand the secret to answered prayer
• Experience God’s blessings
Request your copy of Pastor Rick’s new 40 Days of Prayer study kit when you give below. We pray it will help you pray persistently and trust God for everything!
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.