Spirit, Speech and Service
I want to follow up on yesterday's devotional by pointing you to 1 Peter 2:18-23,
Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh. For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: "Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth"; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously.
The Goodspeed translation says, "He committed His cause to Him who judges righteously." Now these verses are pretty clear: God is a righteous judge. And even if you are being mistreated for doing right, if you will commit things to God, He has a marvelous way of turning the tables in your favor.
You have to maintain three things if God is, indeed, going to use you in such a situation.
1. You have to maintain a right spirit. You have to keep a good attitude. You cannot get bitter. You have to stay kind.
2. You have to keep right speech. Do not dish out the same kind of abuse. Do not start saying things that are going to create division.
3. You have to maintain right service. Even if you are being mistreated, continue working hard for the Lord. Do not sabotage things.
If you will do these three things, just watch what God does through your difficulties!
Visit the Answers with Bayless Conley website for more ways to connect with God.
Fill your life with more joy, peace, and power!
This powerful series will show you how to be filled with the Holy Spirit, so you experience more:
• Supernatural joy
• Boldness to speak the truth
• Daily encouragement
• Spiritual power and perception
• Inner peace
We’ll send you The Spirit CD series as our thank-you for your donation today.