When You Feel Hopeless, Pray Specifically - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - August 2, 2020
When You Feel Hopeless, Pray Specifically
By Rick Warren
“I called to the Lord in my distress, and he answered me. From the depths of my watery grave I cried for help, and you heard my cry” (Jonah 2:2 GW).
When you know what’s causing your hopelessness, you can begin to pray specifically for what you need. That’s how God wants you to talk with him.
And as you pray specifically, I encourage you to take Scripture and pray it back to God. It’s the key to asking God for help!
That’s what Jonah did when he sank into the ocean and was swallowed by a large fish. In his short prayer in Jonah 2, he prayed eight different Scriptures. Everything he said is a quote from the book of Psalms. Jonah was obviously well-versed in Scripture.
What verses should you pray back to God?
- Pray the laments of God. When you’re angry, go back to one of the laments in Psalms or the book of Lamentations and pray those complaints back to God.
- Pray the truth about God. Pray what the Bible says about God—about his goodness, his fairness, and his justice. All of those topics are in the Bible.
- Pray the promises of God. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve prayed, “God, I need you to keep your word. I need you to do what you’ve promised.” Then I’ll pray one of the promises of God I’ve memorized.
Make a point to study God’s Word every single day so that, like Jonah, you can pray God’s Word back to him. And as you do, God will bring hope back into your life.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Discover the Key to Resting in the Goodness of God
Start trusting God’s goodness in every area of life by exploring Psalm 23 with Pastor Rick’s Living in the Goodness of God Guided Bible Study.
This beautiful, interactive, book will help you . . .
• Revolutionize your life and your relationships
• Recharge your body and mind
• Create a habit of worship instead of worry
• Practice loving God and others well
• Use your time for the things that matter most
• Stop comparing and start being content
• And so much more!
We’ll send you the Living in the Goodness of God Guided Bible Study as thanks for your gift today to help share the Gospel with more people around the world through Daily Hope.
Request your copy of this one-of-a-kind spiritual growth tool today—and start resting in the goodness of God.
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.