Four Habits to Fortify Your Faith
By Rick Warren
“Spend your time and energy in the exercise of keeping spiritually fit.” 1 Timothy 4:7 (TLB)
If you want God to use you—fortify your faith.
Do you ever wake up thinking, “I get to exercise today?” I certainly don’t. But I do know that we all need both physical and spiritual exercise. I also know this about exercise: I want the most benefit I can get out of every minute I exercise, whether it’s physical or spiritual.
I’d like to help you get the most out of your spiritual exercise by giving you four spiritual habits that will fortify your faith.
1. Study the Bible. You need to study the Bible personally. You can’t depend on someone else’s study of the Bible to fortify your faith. You have to do it yourself.
The Bible says, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT).
God’s Word is the “Get Ready” manual for life. If you want to get ready to be used by God, you’ve got to study the Bible.
2. Read Christian books. Proverbs 19:8 says, “Do yourself a favor and learn all you can” (GNT). You learn a lot more when you read books that help you grow spiritually.
3. Write out your testimony. The Bible says in 1 Peter 3:15, “Always be ready to answer everyone who asks you to explain about the hope you have” (NCV). Just like nobody else can study for you, nobody else can tell your story. There are four parts to a testimony: what your life was like before you came to Christ, how you realized you needed Christ in your life, how you committed your life to Christ, and what your life is like now.
4. Join a small group. The Bible says, “Encourage each other and build each other up” (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NLT). When it comes to fortifying your faith, few things can compare to regular contact with your small group. If you are not in a small group, find people who you can share life with and who will support you as you grow in faith.
These four habits will help you stay spiritually fit so that you’re ready to be used by God. Which one will you start practicing today?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Step Through God’s Open Door to a Deeper Faith!
Each day brings you the opportunity to experience the abundant life God desires for you. All you have to do is step through the open door he’s placed in your path.
We want to help you embrace the full life God offers with Pastor Rick’s 365-day devotional book, Open Doors. This Daily Hope Exclusive will help you open the door to greater intimacy with God and experience the love, trust, and freedom that comes from a deeper relationship with him.
Dive in and discover the wisdom of God’s Word to help you:
• Resolve conflict
• Conquer fear
• Reduce stress
• Build healthy relationships
• And much more!
This resource is a powerful way to kick off the new year, and it’s our way to say thanks for your gift below to help take the hope of Jesus around the world through Daily Hope in 2022.
So request your copy of Open Doors: A Year of Daily Devotions today—and open the door to a deeper relationship with God!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.