4 Steps to Make God’s Word a Habit - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - February 15, 2017
Four Steps to Make God’s Word a Habit
By Rick Warren
“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine” (John 8:31b NASB).
It’s a really important step to commit to reading your Bible regularly for a short period, maybe a few weeks. It’s a great way to get started, but you should never leave it there. Jesus said, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine” (John 8:31b NASB). It’s the long-term commitment to learning from Jesus and his Word that makes us his disciples.
How do you continue in the Word and stay connected with Jesus through his Word for the long term?
1. Make the decision to do it. It starts with your commitment. Don’t wait for a better time to make God’s Word a regular part of your life. Start your commitment today.
2. Make a declaration. Announce your intentions to others. Hold yourself accountable. If you keep your commitment to God a secret, it’s easier to slip up.
3. Make a determination. Don’t allow anything to knock you off your commitment. Be absolutely determined to make this a permanent habit in your life, particularly in the early months. If you start skipping days, it’ll be much harder to stay committed to God’s Word.
4. Double up. Get a spiritual partner to come alongside you for support and encouragement. This is someone with whom you can share what you learn in your quiet times. It could be someone in your small group, a friend, or a family member. The Bible says, “Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed” (Ecclesiastes 4:9 NLT).
Spending time with God should be a lifelong habit, not a passing fancy. Research shows you need to do something for about six weeks straight to build a habit. Make God’s Word part of your life today — and for the rest of your life.
Talk It Over
- What commitment will you make today so that God’s Word becomes a habit in your life?
- With whom will you share your commitment, and who will hold you accountable?
- Identify the biggest distractions you will likely face when you determine to be in God’s Word every day. What changes can you make in your life to minimize or eliminate those distractions?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Reignite and stregthen your passion for God's Word! The 40 Days in the Word Study Kit is a 6-session study from Rick Warren that will show you how to LOVE the Word, LEARN the Word, and LIVE the Word.
We were meant to not just be “hearers” of the Word, but also “doers” of God’s Word. Take a step and experience the Bible like never before.
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.