Forgive Because You’re Forgiven
By Rick Warren
“Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (Colossians 3:13 NLT).
The Bible says there are three reasons you have to let go of your past and the people who’ve hurt you, and the reasons have nothing to do with whether that person deserves it or not.
1. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because God has forgiven you. Colossians 3:13 says, “Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (NLT). If you want to be a forgiving person, you need to first accept the forgiveness of God through Jesus Christ. The Bible says that God came to Earth in human form in Jesus in order to offer forgiveness for everything that’s ever been done wrong. He paid for it so we don’t have to. That’s Good News.
Resentment makes you miserable, and it keeps you stuck in the past. And when you’re stuck in the past, you are controlled by the past. Every time you resent something, it controls you. Perhaps you are allowing people who hurt you five, 10, or even 20 years ago to hurt you to this day. Don’t let it happen. They can’t hurt you anymore. Your past is past. You’ve got to let it go.
3. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because you’re going to need more forgiveness in the future. Jesus said in Matthew 6:14-15, “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” (NIV). Forgiveness is a two-way street. You cannot receive what you are unwilling to give.
Someone once told John Wesley, the 18th-century British theologian, “I could never forgive that person!” Wesley replied, “Then I hope you never sin.” You don’t want to burn the bridge that you’ve got to walk across to get into Heaven.
Talk It Over
In what situation do you need to offer forgiveness so that you can move on from your past?
What is a sin that you believe you could never forgive?
How do you think God feels about that sin?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Discover God’s power to change your life!
When you’ve had all the “crazy” you can take…
Do you have a relationship that drives you crazy? Maybe it’s a spouse, sibling, parent, co-worker, or the crazy relative that really pushes your buttons.
Pastor Rick shows how you can turn crazy relationships into peaceful ones through his You Make Me Crazy Study Kit.
This 6-week video study includes a DVD and study guide—and helps you . . .
• Reconcile with the people who drive you crazy
• Start healing from past hurts caused by others
• Understand the emotions simmering beneath people’s words
• Turn conflict into cooperation
• Offer God’s immeasurable love even when it’s hard
The You Make Me Crazy Study Kit is our thank you for your gift to share the hope of Jesus Christ through Daily Hope! Request your copy today when you give below.
May it help you learn to love even the most difficult people in your life.
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.