Ten Ways We Rely on God’s Grace
By Rick Warren
“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him”(Philippians 2:13 NLT).
As Christians, we tend to think about grace when it’s connected to our salvation. But grace is about much more than just how we come to Christ. Our entire Christian walk must be fueled by the grace of God.
We can do nothing in him or for him that doesn’t ultimately come from his grace. The Bible says, “For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” (Philippians 2:13 NLT).
In fact, grace brings 10 great benefits to our lives:
- We’re saved by grace. The only way to heaven is through the doorway of grace. You can’t earn it. You can’t work for it. You can’t buy it (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- We’re forgiven by grace.Though we don’t deserve it, God wipes our slate clean by his grace (Isaiah 43:25).
- We’re sustained by grace. God will never ask you to do anything he doesn’t give you the ability and the power to do. That power and ability is called grace (Philippians 2:13).
- We’re healed by grace.God heals our broken hearts and binds up our wounds even though we don’t deserve it (Psalm 147:3).
- We’re liberated by grace. Our relationship with Jesus isn’t a bunch of chores to do. Instead it’s about resting in what the Lord has already done. If your Christian life is not a life of resting in Christ, you’re moving into legalism (Matthew 11:28-30).
- We’re given talents by grace.God has given each of us the ability to do something well, and we’re to use those abilities for him (Romans 12:6).
- We’re used by grace. God uses us to fulfill his purposes in this world, not because of anything we’ve done but simply through his grace (Ephesians 3:7).
- We’re kept saved by grace.We cannot lose our salvation because it’s a gift of God. If you could earn it, then you could lose it the moment you stopped earning it (Jude 1:24).
- We’re transformed by grace.Through his grace, God makes us new through the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2).
- We’re matured by grace.God’s work of making us more like Jesus happens not because we’ve earned it or by our own effort but by the grace of God (2 Peter 3:18).
God’s grace is real and powerful in our lives. You might look at all these benefits and wonder, “How do I receive God’s grace?” Tomorrow’s devotional will focus on that question.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Choose Joy Devotional Book
You can live with joy even when life is hard!
Joy is a daily choice. But when you go through difficult times, joy becomes hard to sustain. It’s a choice you have to make minute by minute.
In her inspiring Choose Joy devotional book, Kay Warren offers 30 short readings that will empower you to choose joy, no matter what you’re facing.
You’ll be encouraged by powerful Scriptures, a reflection from Kay and a short prayer for each devotional—to help guide you closer to the Lord.
Find out how to live with joy even when . . .
• Your plans are shattered
• Your health fails, or
• You feel like you’re walking through life alone.
The hardcover Choose Joy devotional is our way to say thanks for your donation today to help share the hope of Jesus with more people around the world.
So request your copy as you give today, so no matter what you’re going through, you can learn to choose joy—today, tomorrow, and always!
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.