What Biblical Generosity Looks Like
By Rick Warren
“You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully’” (2 Corinthians 9:7 NLT).
Generosity isn’t about your wealth. It’s about your willingness to help others, to show love to others, and to honor God.
In 2 Corinthians 9:7, God gives us three characteristics of an authentic generosity: “You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully’” (NLT).
This kind of biblical generosity is:
- Always thoughtful.“You must each decide in your heart.” You need to think about how much you’re going to give. Don’t do it impulsively or emotionally. You make up your own mind, and you plan it.
- Always voluntary.“Don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure.” Never, ever, ever give out of guilt. When you do, you don’t get credit for it, and it won’t grow your heart.
- Always cheerful.“For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” If you can’t give cheerfully, then just don’t. Be a Grinch. Be a miser. Be a Scrooge. You don’t get any credit for giving unless you give to somebody cheerfully.
Be generous with your giving. Again, it’s not about the amount you give—it doesn’t have to be about money at all. You can be generous with your time or with your talents. Whatever you give, do it thoughtfully, voluntarily, and cheerfully.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Awesome Relationships Study Kit
God wants you to have awesome relationships!
When people see a healthy, love-filled, life-giving relationship, they take notice. Because they’re so different from the relationships that are all around us.
But meaningful relationships are not automatic or easy—which is why we want to send you Pastor Rick Warren’s Awesome Relationships study kit as thanks for your gift below.
In this study kit you’ll receive Pastor Rick’s Awesome Relationships teaching series on DVD plus a study guide. Together, they create an interactive resource that will help you take your relationships beyond fair, average, and even great—all the way to awesome!
You’ll get the tools to:
• Experience a more rewarding marriage
• Grow closer with your family
• Build friendships that stand the test of time
• Become best friends with God
So request your copy of the Awesome Relationships study kit when you give a gift below to help lead others closer to Jesus through Daily Hope.
Thank you for your support!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.