You are going to give your life for something. What will it be — a career, a sport, a hobby, fame, wealth? None of these will have lasting significance.
Service is the pathway to real significance. It is through ministry that we discover the meaning of our lives. The Bible says, “Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body” (Romans 12:5 MSG).
As we serve together in God’s family, our lives take on eternal importance. Paul said, “I want you to think about how all this makes you more significant, not less … because of what you are a part of” (1 Corinthians 12:14, 19).
God wants to use you to make a difference in the world. He wants to work through you. What matters is not the duration of your life but the donation of it. Not how long you lived, but how you lived.
If you’re not involved in any service or ministry, what excuse have you been using?
- Abraham was old.
- Jacob was insecure.
- Leah was unattractive.
- Joseph was abused.
- Moses stuttered.
- Gideon was poor.
- Samson was codependent.
- Rahab was immoral.
- David had an affair and all kinds of family problems.
- Elijah was suicidal.
- Jeremiah was depressed.
- Jonah was reluctant.
- Naomi was a widow.
- John the Baptist was eccentric to say the least.
- Peter was impulsive and hot-tempered.
- Martha worried a lot.
- The Samaritan woman had several failed marriages.
- Zacchaeus was unpopular.
- Thomas had doubts.
- Paul had poor health.
- Timothy was timid.
That is quite a variety of misfits! But God used each of them in his service. He’s ready to use you, too! Let’s stop making excuses.
Talk It Over
- What are some excuses that keep you from serving?
- How has God shaped you for ministry? What are the things you get excited about?
- Do you believe that God can use you just as you are to make a difference for his Kingdom? Take time right now to pray and tell him. Share your doubts and concerns, and ask for courage.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit rickwarren.org
Daily Inspiration for The Purpose Driven Life
In Daily Inspiration for The Purpose Driven Life, Pastor Rick has taken all the key verses that explain how God created each of us for five purposes and put them into an easy-to-use reference tool that will help anyone study and memorize God’s Word.
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.