Dr. Dobson's Married Couples Devotional - June 24
Where Is Your Treasure?
“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.”
1 Timothy 6:10
Money. Men and women have lusted for it, killed for it, died for it, and gone to hell for it. Money has come between the best of friends, fractured families, and brought down the proud and mighty. And it has torn millions of marriages limb from limb! According to Larry Burkett, founder and CEO of Christian Financial Concepts, 80 percent of couples seeking divorce say the focus of their disagreements is money. During Jesus’ time on earth, He spoke more about money than any other subject. Most of His pronouncements came in the form of warnings: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21); “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?” (Matthew 16:26); “You cannot serve both God and Money” (Matthew 6:24).
If we want to love and serve God—and keep our marriages intact— we need to regularly examine our relationship with money, then ask: “Whom do we serve?”
Just between us . . .
• Have you ever had a hurtful disagreement with family or friends over money?
• How do you feel about the way we handle our finances?
• Are there ways in which we push God aside to “serve” money?
• What could we do to make sure our financial decisions are in line with Jesus’ teachings?
Dear God, we confess that we’re so often beguiled by the allure of money and possessions. But we want You to be Lord of our money and all our belongings. Lead us into an enduring obedience to You in this area, we pray. Amen.
• Larry Burkett excerpt from Love for a Lifetime by Dr. James Dobson (Sisters, Ore.: Multnomah Publishers, Inc. 1998).
This devotional is taken from Night Light for Couples. Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.