The Magnitude of God | Romans 11:33-36
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?” “Who has ever given to God, that God should repay them?” For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
Freedom from fear is not found in a person or possession. It is found in God alone. Fear is driven away when we understand the magnitude of God. Included in this passage are seven truths about God’s greatness.
1. God is beyond man’s full discovery. On our best day with our clearest thinking we will never be able to fully ascertain the “depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God.”
2. God’s ways are beyond man’s comprehension. There is no way our finite minds can grasp the infinite Creator.
3. God is beyond the need for man’s counsel. God does not need man’s advice on how to run the universe.
4. God is not indebted to man. No man offered anything to God that he needs to repay.
5. God is the first cause. He is the source from which all things come.
6. God is the efficient cause. He is the agent through which all things exist.
7. God is the final cause. To him all things return and wait his judgment.
When we begin to understand the enormity of God, the One we know personally through Jesus, there is no room for fear.
Father, help our understanding of your person fill our hearts full with your peace. Amen.