May 23, 2011
Upside Down Blessings
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him (1 Corinthians 1:27-29 NIV).
Friend to Friend
When I was a little girl, I remember my mom making a pineapple upside down cake. It always amazed me that the bottom of the cake made such a pretty top when the cake plopped out of the pan.
Come to think of it, many of God’s promises seem like upside down blessings by the world’s standards. Let’s consider a few:
- “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to befirst must be your slave-- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26-28).
- “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, it will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke 6:38).
- “Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest” (Luke 9:48).
- “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me” (2 Corinthians 12:9).
- Humbleyourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.” (James 4:10 NKJV)
Through our weakness, He makes us strong. Through our dying, He makes us alive. Through our wounds, He makes us whole.
Today, ponder these promises and enjoy a slice of God’s upside down blessings.
Dear Lord, I am so glad that You are in control. If I was in charge of my life, it would be a complete mess. I pray for Your upside down blessing to shower my life. Help me to be a humble giver with a servant’s heart who is totally dependent on You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Now It’s Your Turn
Go back up to the verses of God’s upside down blessings and write down examples of what each one might look like.
How have you seen God’s upside down blessings in your life?
More from the Girlfriends
Did you know that even your toughest struggles in life can be turned into your greatest triumphs? If you would like to learn how to turn your pain into purpose, your misery into ministry and your hurt into hope see Sharon’s book, Your Scars Are Beautiful To God…Finding peace and purpose in the hurts of your past. But be warned, this book may change your life!
Click here to find out more about
how to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Click here to learn more about hosting a Girlfriends in God conference in your area or having one of the GiGs speak at your next women's event.