Keeping Your Marriage a Priority (Part II) - I Do Every Day - May 28, 2023
Keeping Your Marriage a Priority (Part II)
By Leslie J. Barner
“When are you going to make time for me ... for us?”
Yesterday, I talked about how my husband felt other things in my life took his place, our place.
As you work together to keep your marriage a priority, here are seven ideas to help—with links to (mostly) free resources making it oh-so-easy.
1. Pray together daily. It was awkward at first, but we stuck with it and found praying together helps our relationship with God and each other grow deeper and stronger. Get started with a 30-day couples prayer guide.
2. Grow together spiritually. Reading the Bible together before bed continues to produce fruit in our relationship—like patience, kindness, and faithfulness. Other fun ways? Join a couples Bible study or read a couples devotional.
3. Have meaningful conversations. We’ve watched our friendship strengthen and grow over the years simply by talking. Set aside a few minutes each evening to connect through conversation. Here are 30 conversation starters to get you going!
4. Serve each other. Thoughtful gestures like waking me with breakfast in bed, or surprising me with a soothing bath on days I need to unwind, speak value to me as Aubrey’s wife. Remember, it’s the little things that often mean the most. Here are some ideas for husbands and for wives!
5. Develop common interests. My husband and I love road-tripping, trying new restaurants, and binge-watching Netflix. We also enjoy mentoring younger couples. What are one or two things you could enjoy together? Check out this Q&A to learn how common interests can deepen your relationship.
6. Fan the flames of romance. Maybe your marriage could use a little help keeping the fire burning. Here are 10 surprising ways to increase romance and keep your relationship exciting!
7. Have sex regularly. Your relationship will be stronger, healthier, and more closely connected if you do! Find out why sex matters in marriage.
Find creative ways to make your marriage your number one priority. One, two, three ... Go!
The Good Stuff: And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)
Action Points: Talk about the seven ideas listed above. Which ideas can you put into action this week? What are some of your own ideas that you can come up with together to add to the list? For this kind of list, there’s no such thing as too many ideas!
Source: Original from Leslie Barner (heavily adapted from a piece I wrote for AOP)
Visit the FamilyLife® Website