Power Point - October 11, 2005
- Sign Up for Email? Sign Up for Email Delivery?
- 2005 Oct 11
Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?
Why does fasting play such an important spiritual role in our lives? There are seven reasons:
- Lamentation – Fasting brings about the deep concern of the Christian’s heart. It is brokenness and complete surrender to God. When David had a child that was sick and dying, for many days he fasted and prayed in sorrow until the child went to heaven.
- Protection – Oftentimes in the Bible when God’s people were in grave danger, it prompted the people to fast. Whether it’s emotional, physical, spiritual, or mental bondage, you can cry out to the Lord, fast, and ask God for deliverance.
- Humiliation – In Psalm 32:1-5, David was under deep conviction because of his sin with Bathsheba, so he fasted, prayed, and repented. When you want to get right with God, free yourself of any physical obstacle and go humbly before God to confess your sin.
- Revelation – Fasting reveals tremendous truth to you and helps you reveal truth to others. When you need a word from God, begin fasting. Fasting also has a connection with proclaiming God’s Word. Both Jesus and Paul often fasted before they began ministering to others.
- Condemnation – The fear of judgment in Scripture oftentimes drove people to fast. You and I should daily seek revival in our world by praying, fasting, and asking God to move powerfully in our hearts and the hearts of people.
- Selection – In the early church, the people prayed and fasted before they sent out others for special tasks and spiritual leadership. We must pray that the Lord would send forth laborers to the harvest, and well as reveal what you and I are to be doing to further the kingdom of God.
- Direction – The servants of Isaac fasted when seeking a bride for him. And Paul fasted while waiting and watching for the will of God. You are to fast and pray when making a decision—whether it is about marriage, school, finances, family, and so on.
Are you willing to take your spiritual walk to a higher level? Are you ready to become a totally devoted follower of Jesus Christ? God wants to release His power through you and He will when you become emptied of yourself so that you can be completely occupied by Him.
TO WITNESS THE MAGNIFICENT POWER OF GOD IN YOUR LIFE, COME BEFORE HIM IN UNCEASING PRAYER AND FAST FROM LIFE’S PHYSICAL NECESSITIES.