Preaching Daily - May 30
- Sign Up for Email? Sign Up for Email Delivery?
- 2022 May 30
Today's Word for Pastors...
I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.
Today's Preaching Insight...
Mistakes Churches Make
In an article for Church Central, consultant Bill Easum writes about the most common tactical mistakes made by church leaders and notes they are usually "hallmarks of declining congregations." Here are four from his list:
1. Failure to combine evangelism and social justice into the fabric of the church. The entire debate between traditional and emergent churches stems from this failure. Any form of reductionism truncates the Gospel.
2. Putting a long section of announcements at the beginning of the worship service. It's like tuning into the beginning of a sitcom only to find all of the commercials loaded up front before anything else happens. Instead, begin worship with a rousing piece of music that says, 'Something great is going to happen here today.' If you have to do announcements, don't lead off with them. Please.
3. The lead pastor in a church under five hundred in worship does not personally contact first-time guests within 48 hours. I know much of the prevailing wisdom is people are more likely to return to your church if the laity visits them. It's just not so. Pastor, if your church is under five hundred in worship, visit your first-time guests within 48 hours.
4. Hiring Associate Pastors who are generalists rather than specialists. The day of generalists is coming to an end."
(Click here to read the full article.)
This Week's Book
The Gospel-Driven Life
Michael Horton's new book The Gospel-Driven Life (Baker) asserts that the only thing the church can provide that is unique is the gospel. That's why Horton urges churches to depart from their own agendas and focus on the good news that Christ is our only source of hope.
Preaching magazine is the premier resource for those who proclaim the Word. To begin your own subscription and get a free year of issues, go to http://magazine.preaching.com/subscribe/.