Life often doesn’t go as planned. And chances are, this year has thrown some unexpected curve balls your way..and are facing the possibility of dealing with more storms on the horizon. So, you and I need to be prepared with an arsenal of prayers for hope when these unexpected circumstances arise. When our faith begins to waver we can seek God and petition Him with honest prayer. God knows we are not perfect yet He offers us unlimited grace and mercy for when we need reassurance. Anxiety will come and fear can quickly overwhelm us. But it doesn't have to. We can overcome the feeling of hopelessness.
Panicking doesn’t help. Worrying makes it worse. And becoming drama to those around us only makes everyone else’s life painful. Having hope in who God says He is and His promises for us are the answer. What we need to do is pray, as Scripture tells us: “Don’t worry (or panic) about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Ask God to increase your hope and faith! Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand…” (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT). Prayer reminds us of God's control over our lives. Prayer refocuses us on God's goodness and lovingkindness.
Hope is powerful and increases our faith as we recognize the ways God is for us and loves us. Ephesians 1:18-19 Paul encourages us saying, "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." As you pray for hope, meditate on these Bible verses that will help you recall the faithfulness of God:
- "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." - Hebrews 10:23
- "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31
- "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
- "But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love" - Psalm 33:18
- "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." - Romans 15:13
- "and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." - Romans 5:5
To help you experience that incomprehensible peace from God, here are 10 prayers for hope:
Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstock/RobertHoetink