7 Vital Prayer Points: For the Upcoming Election, Our Nation, and Leaders
- Debbie McDaniel
- 2016 28 Jan
Sometimes in the midst of headline news, uncertain times, and constant debates that affect our future, it's hard to even know where to begin.
We just know we have a deep ache in our hearts that cries out for God's mercy, and a longing to see him heal our land.
But in all of the battles, defending our views, or pointing out differences, we have to ask ourselves one question… Have we prayed about it as much as we’ve talked about it?
God never leaves us to fend for ourselves, wrestling with worry, consumed in fear, or tempted towards hate. He reminds us He is with us and will help us. He reminds us He hasn’t lost control, but has a plan, and His purposes will prevail.
There’s no magic formula in praying verses and words, but there is power through the Spirit of God. And there’s power in His Truth to bring forgiveness, healing, renewal, and restoration - no matter how uncertain things may seem. God promises that His Word will not return empty, without accomplishing great things.
Prayer + God’s Word = Power – the pathway for Him to do miraculous things.
He hears our prayers, He knows our needs. There's great power in uniting together, turning our hearts towards Him, and praying on behalf of our nation.
7 Vital Prayer Points:
1. That our nation would turn back to God. May God help us. We need him desperately to renew our hope and restore our land. We need his forgiveness and healing. May His Spirit sweep across our nation and draw many out of darkness. May believers everywhere draw close to Him and seek his face like never before.
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chron. 7:14
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord…” Ps. 33:12
2. That we would be faithful in praying for leaders and those in authority, knowing that their decisions directly affect us too. May God give them wisdom and courage as they lead our nation. May He give them a desire to listen for his voice and follow his ways. May God in His mercy, appoint principled, godly men and women into positions of authority in our nation.
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Tim. 2:1-2
“When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan.” Prov. 29:2
3. That we would recognize God’s Sovereignty over all. His word reminds us that He is the One who ultimately has the power to position all those in leadership, and to remove them. Some may ask, “If God’s going to do whatever He chooses, then why even pray?” More than anything, God desires our hearts to be set on Him. And He chooses to work on behalf of His people. His word reminds us there is great power in prayer as we join together in unity and seek to follow after Him.
It is “God who changes the times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.” Dan. 2:21
“But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” Ps. 33:11
4. That we would recognize the real battle is not fought against what is seen, but what is unseen. The real enemy is not a person or political party, but is Satan himself, and his dark forces that oppose God and fight against Truth. The enemy’s goal is to steal, kill, and destroy, and he wants nothing more than to see us waste our energy and time just battling one another. Let’s stay aware of his evil plans and stand against his attacks through the power of Christ and His Word.
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Eph. 6:12
“For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.” 2 Cor. 10:4
5. That we would not succumb to worry, fear, or defeat. That we wouldn’t grow so weary that we just give up, and tune out. Our voices are important. Now, more than ever before. Headline news stories can often incite fear and worry as we think about the future. We don’t have all the answers. We feel powerless to change what we believe needs to be changed. We look around us and see dark days and evil often seems to be winning. But God’s words still remain true in it all. He is the Answer. He’s the Light that breaks through the darkness. He’s the One who sets free and has the power to restore our nation.
"They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord." Ps. 112:7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-7
6. That we would pray for those in authority who are unjustly attacked and accused. That God’s protection would cover His people, that He would surround them with favor as a shield. That the plans of the enemy would be thwarted and truth would be made known. That as believers, we would be discerning and quickly recognize what is real and what is a lie.
“No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn…” Is. 54:17
“Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people both now and forevermore.” Psalm 125:1-2
7. That our hope would remain in the Lord. That we would recognize His great Power. That we would trust Him and believe that He is Able, and nothing is impossible with Him. He alone is where our real hope is found, not in our leaders, not in the economy, not in the condition of our nation today, or even in the future of tomorrows.
“Look at the nations and watch-- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” Hab. 1:5
“Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.” Hab. 3:2
Whoever your candidate of choice may be, we can rest in this - God has a plan. He's not pacing heaven’s floors, worried about who will win or what the latest polls show. He's called us to pray, to be salt and light, and to have a voice. We can trust that the outcome is in His hands.
Remembering this truth on which our nation was founded. We are "One Nation under God."
Our hope comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth.
And He gives us the strength to keep moving forward.
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone, my hope comes from Him." Ps. 62:5
We thank you for your great power. We praise you that you have set us free from the clutching grasp of sin and death.
Would you be with your people, extending your grace, granting your freedom, giving your protection, and empowering with your strength. We ask that you would cause an awakening of your presence as never seen before. We ask that your Name be proclaimed, that all plans to silence Truth would be thwarted and crushed.
We pray that many would come to know you as Lord and Savior, we pray that many would see your Light, we pray that you would open blind eyes and release those still imprisoned.
We pray you would unify your people for the glory of your Name, that believers everywhere would rise up and stand together.
We pray for all those in authority, that you would give them wisdom and discernment as they lead. We ask that you would appoint strong, faithful men and women to serve this nation and our people.
We pray that you would heal our land, and shine your face on us. Our times are in your hands.
In Jesus' Name,
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead's facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/DebbieWebbMcDaniel, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives. Find her also at http://twitter.com/debbmcdaniel.
Publication date: January 28, 2016