5 Inspiring Lessons from the Prayer of Jabez
- Crosswalk.com Staff
- Updated Dec 01, 2022
Scripture has many examples of prayers that teach us to depend on God and call upon Him. The prayer of Jabez is very inspiring and challenging for how we approach God with our requests. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that “ALL Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Jabez was not using prayer as a formula to get something from God, rather He was calling upon God to help him accomplish the promises of God! Let’s dive in and see how this Old Testament prayer can be applied today as we seek God’s provision and leading in our lives.
The Prayer of Jabez, 1 Chronicles 4:10
“Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh that You would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.”
Meaning & Lessons of The Prayer of Jabez
1. The very first thing Scripture tells us about Jabez is that he cried to the God of Israel. Jabez states God’s lordship and headship over his life. When you pray, begin by acknowledging who God is!
2. “That you would bless me” Jabez not only recognizes God as the one and only true God, he also acknowledges that blessings come from God alone. Are you chasing broken promises and blessings that the world tries to entice you with? Are you striving toward prosperity on your own strength? When you pray, do it with a heart fully invested in the blessings of God.
3. “that you would multiply my territory” – Many think that Jabez is simply referring to physical land when asking to multiply territory. However, if we look at the lineage of Jabez we can understand that he is not merely speaking in terms of wealth and prosperity but in terms of impacting the kingdom of God. He wanted his spiritual territory to increase, to claim generations for the Lord of Israel. Do you need to claim or reclaim some of the land Satan has taken from you? When you pray, ask God to multiply your territory and to do more through you!
4. “your hand be with me” – Jabez wanted God to be in every moment of his day. He understood the power of God’s hand to protect and to lead in the right direction. Blessings will become curses if it is not God's hand providing and guiding. When you pray, request more than blessings and provision but that God’s hand would lead you through any circumstances and trials that come your way. THAT is the greatest blessing.
5. “keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain” The name Jabez literally means “born with pain”. His own mother named him this because of the pain she endured in labor! When Jabez prays, he speaks against the testimony of his name and lets go of the shame it covered him in. When you pray, come to God vulnerable and ready for Him to turn your weakness into His glory.
When we learn to submit our will to God and pray like Jabez, we will begin to see God move in mighty ways! What are you praying for today? Join our community in the comments below!
Making the Prayer of Jabez Personal
Call Upon the God of Israel
Oh God, you are the Holy one of Israel. You are powerful and mighty and have called us to be set apart - holy for You. Your Holiness not only stretches over evil but also leads us in knowledge, justice, mercy, goodness and love. Lord, your commands reveal your character and we praise you today and ask that you cleanse us and remake us into the image o your Son through the power of your Spirit.
That You Would Bless Me
Dear God, Thank you for your great love and blessing over our lives. Thank you that your favor has no end, but it lasts for our entire lifetime. Forgive us for sometimes forgetting that you are intimately acquainted with all of our ways, that you know what concerns us, and you cover us, as with a shield. We ask for your guidance so that we might walk fully in your blessing and goodness today.
We ask that your face would shine on us. That you would open the right doors for our lives and for our loved ones, that you would close the wrong doors and protect us from those we need to walk away from. Establish the work of our hands and bring to fulfillment all that you have given us to do in these days. We pray that you would make our way purposeful and our footsteps firm out of your goodness and love. Give us a heart of wisdom to hear your voice, and make us strong by your huge favor and grace. In Jesus' name, Amen. (by Debbie McDaniel)
Enlarge My Territory
God, would you begin today enlarging my territory in all areas of life to claim it for your glory? Expand my borders and use my life to bring you honor and fame. Enlarge my influence in my workplace, my community, my home. May I bring you praise for all that you have done. Give me a deeper love for the lost and the broken of this world and grant me access to be used mightly for you.
Your Hand Be With Me
Thank you that you have set us free and that you are bigger than anything we face in this life. We lay our burdens before you, every single one, for we know they’re much safer in your hands than our own. God, may your hand guide me as I walk with you each step of the way. Help me to trust in your righteous right hand that strengthens and upholds me. Father God, lead me into the territory that you would have me claim for your righteousness.
Keep Me From Evil
Father God, we praise you for your love and faithfulness towards your children. We praise you for being a perfect, holy, trustworthy God that is bigger than all the evil we experience here on earth. We ask that you give us eyes to see when evil is before us, hearts to hate evil and the desire to flee from its presence. We ask that you would not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil and draw us closer to yourself. We ask for the long-expected Jesus to come quickly and make all things new. We ask these things His precious name. Amen. (by Beth Anne Baus)
Photo credit: ©GettyImages/kieferpix
This article is part of our Prayer resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us, and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.
The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the speakers and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of Salem Web Network and Salem Media Group.
Stock Footage & Music Courtesy of Soundstripe.com Thumbnail by Getty Images
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to start your day with prayer: read today’s prayer and sign up to receive it by email.