Here are 12 reasons you might be called to suffer:
1. So God may show us how much we want what He wants (James 1:3).
2. So God may motivate us to follow Him (Hebrews 5:8).
3. So that we might be a comfort to each other (2 Corinthians 1:6).
4. To keep us from doing our own thing that could hurt us (2 Corinthians 12:7).
5. So that we might point others to God’s amazingness (1 Peter 4:16).
6. So that we may identify with Jesus a little more (Philippians 3:10).
7. So that our faith might grow a little stronger (1 Peter 5:10).
8. So that others would see us and be compelled to follow us to Jesus (2 Timothy 2:10).
9. To make us an example of what a life entrusted to God looks like (Romans 8:28).
10. To move others to pray and depend on God what only He can do (2 Corinthians 1:10-11).
11. To train us to go to God first for help (Psalms 30:6-7).
12. To give us a special experience of God’s presence and an amazing story to tell others (James 4:6-7).
Barb Peil has realized recently how rich and fruitful it is to be a woman after God’s heart—single or married, young or mature, fulfilled or struggling in any other area of life—doesn’t matter. It all comes down to ‘my heart for God.’ You can read her blog at letters2myself.com—a website for all women to seek and share wisdom at every stage of life.
Editor's note: This article has been adapted from the original, found here.
Photo Courtesy: Thinkstock