What You Should Do Instead
1. Bring a meal.
2. Pick up a child from school. Ask if you can babysit for an evening. Take their dog home for a few days.
3. Help with laundry (just call ahead and say, “Unless it’s a bad time I’m coming to help you with your laundry”). If you really want to roll up your sleeves, clean their bathrooms while you’re at it!
4. Go to the hospital and sit with their loved one so they can walk to the cafeteria and have a meal.
5. Send flowers. It shows you care and that you are thinking of them which means so much when you’re going through this valley.
6. Ask if they need anything taken to the post office (and take it for them).
7. Offer to pick up their prescription.
8. Sneak a $20 bill in their pocket. Being sick is expensive.
9. Grab their keys and tell them you’re just going to fill up their gas tank.
10. Offer to drive them to the next doctor’s appointment (Sometimes family members are very worried, or even terrified, before certain appointments where results of scans or tests are going to be revealed and driving is something they’d rather not do).
Coach Lee is a breakup coach and marriage consultant. He is the developer of the Emergency Breakup Kit, and a relationship educator on YouTube. He has been interviewed by Reuters, Elite Daily, AskMen, BravoTV, Forbes, and others.
Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstock/KatarzynaBialasiewicz