29 Inspiring Marriage Quotes and Bible Verses about Love to Strengthen Your Relationship
- Heather Riggleman Crosswalk.com Contributing Writer
- 2022 18 Mar
Looking for the best quotes about love and marriage? How about inspiring Bible verses for your relationship? You are in the right place.
Marriage is one of the greatest blessings in life. Everyday is an adventure between mundane moments of sipping coffee in the kitchen or sweaty nights between the sheets. Marriage is executing a united front as parental units with secret high fives behind closed doors and learning how to spar with your partner for the sake of your marriage while dying to your “self.”
After 21 years of marriage, some of the best memories are the little details such as the insignificant stuff: grocery shopping every Friday, meeting up for a quick lunch date, picking out closet installation kits and then trying to put the darn thing together!
The idea of settling down and getting married might seem old fashioned but marriage was never about you and I in the first place. At least that is the secret to my marriage and the one quote that Chris and I both tell each other often is from one of the best romance movies of all time:
“So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me… everyday.” – The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Mr. Sparks nailed what God intended marriage for himself. He intended marriage to reflect the union between himself, Christ, and the Church. It was meant to expose the splinters in your soul.
As selfishness rises, God offers to sand it down. The job of marriage is to expose our dysfunction and propel us towards steady wholeness in Christ.
Marriage is about commitment, sacrifice, serving, giving, forgiving and then doing all over again every day. Though reading Bible verses about love and inspiring quotes about marriage, you can strengthen your relationship!
In honor of marriages everywhere...
Bible Quotes about Love and Marriage
1. “God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was conceived and born in the mind of God.” Max Lucado
2. “Jesus’ teaching in general [implies] that happy and fulfilling sexual relations in marriage depend on each partner aiming to give satisfaction to the other. If it is the joy of each to make the other happy, a hundred problems will be solved before they happen.” John Piper
3. “For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your sons marry you, and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.” Isaiah 62:5
4. "To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness." Robert Brault
5. “To solve a marriage problem, you have to talk with each other about it, choosing wisely the time and place. But when accusations and lengthy speeches of defense fill the dialogue, the partners are not talking to each other but past each other. Take care to listen more than you speak. If you still can’t agree on a solution, consider asking a third party, without a vested interest, to mediate.” R.C. Sproul
6. "Love is not something you feel. It is something you do." David Wilkerson
7. “You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.” C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
Best Bible Quotes about Love
8. “A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her.” Max Lucado
9. “Staying married, therefore, is not mainly about staying in love. It is about keeping covenant. “Till death do us part” or “As long as we both shall live” is a sacred covenant promise—the same kind Jesus made with His bride when He died for her.” John Piper
10. There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps. Ronald Reagan
11. “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12
12. “Ruth and I don’t have a perfect marriage, but we have a great one.” Billy Graham
13. “Appreciative love gazes and holds its breath and is silent, rejoices that such a wonder should exist even if not for him, will not be wholly dejected by losing her, would rather have it so than never to have seen her at all.” C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
Happy Marriage Quotes
14. “In a perfect marriage, everything is always the finest and best imaginable; like a Greek statue, the proportions are exact and the finish is unblemished. Who knows any human beings like that? For a married couple to expect perfection in each other is unrealistic. We learned that even before we were married.” Bill Graham
15. "Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised." Song of Solomon 8:6-7
16. “Don’t quit, and don’t give up. The reward is just around the corner. And in times of doubt or times of joy, listen for that still, small voice. Know that God has been there from the beginning—and he will be there until... The End.” Joanna Gaines
17. “To fully know and still fully love, is the primary aim of marriage.” Fierce Marriage
18. Will you hug that college degree in the walnut frame? Will you ask to be carried to the garage so you can sit in your car? Will you find comfort in rereading your financial statement? Of course not. What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now?” Max Lucado
19. "For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her." Ephesians 5:25
20. “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me… everyday.” The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
21. “How many of us take the time to relive half a lifetime’s worth of happy memories, cringeworthy failures, and unforgettable adventures together? How many of us get a chance to sit down and talk about the rough times we overcame in the past or to laugh about the stupid mistakes we made when we were young?” Joanna Gaines
22. “Since the marriage relationship is to reflect the relationship between Jesus Christ and His Church, it is imperative that biblical submission and love be practiced in all of its aspects between husband and wife.” John C. Broger
23. I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun. Chuck Swindoll
24. "Then the LORD God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.' ... So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man." Genesis 2:18–25
25. “A good wife is heaven’s last, best gift to man,—his gem of many virtues, his casket of jewels; her voice is sweet music, her smiles his brightest day, her kiss the guardian of his innocence, her arms the pale of his safety, her industry his surest wealth, her economy his safest steward, her lips his faithful counsellors, her bosom the softest pillow of his cares.” Jeremy Taylor
Inspirational Quotes about Marriage
26. “Great marriages don’t happen by luck or by accident. They are the result of a consistent investment of time, thoughtfulness, forgiveness, affection, prayer, mutual respect, and a rock-solid commitment between a husband and a wife.” Dave Willis
27. “I have a best friend as a husband, and he is my number one supporter. He’s a family man, and he’s always giving back to God. That is what makes him a beautiful man. We’re not perfect by any means, but that makes us beautiful as well. We’re not afraid to say we’re not perfect. We have our disagreements, but that comes along with marriage.” Tamera Mowry
28. “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark 10:9
29. “We [should not] make the mistake of thinking that marriage will provide the ultimate satisfaction for which we all hunger. To assume so would be to be guilty of blasphemy. Only God satisfies the hungry heart. Marriage is but one of the channels He uses to enable us to taste how deeply satisfying His thirst-quenching grace can be.” Sinclair B. Ferguson
Photo credit: ©Getty Images/PeopleImages
Heather Riggleman is a believer, wife, mom, author, social media consultant, and full-time writer. She lives in Minden, Nebraska with her kids, high school sweetheart, and three cats who are her entourage around the homestead. She is a former award-winning journalist with over 2,000 articles published. She is full of grace and grit, raw honesty, and truly believes tacos can solve just about any situation. You can find her on GodUpdates, iBelieve, Crosswalk, Hello Darling, Focus On The Family, and in Brio Magazine. Connect with her at www.HeatherRiggleman.com or on Facebook.