The law of the bicycle is no secret. Even a six year old understands the concept of its two wheels. If you don’t exercise balance and physically do something with the pedals, it eventually falls over. Its invention was made to bring enjoyment, but it takes two to move the apparatus forward: your feet and reliable spokes.
It reminds me of our goals for 2015. Have we considered: Lord, where am I headed? How can you help me arrive safely?
Friend, you’re a single mom. You carry a substantial load concerning your roadmap and that of your children. However, you are NOT alone! God WILLS for you to accomplish much. His spokes of medal enable you to traipse up the treacherous path, as well as, glide through the enchanting park. Yet, the question remains: Have I consulted with my Father about this 2015 excursion? One thing is for sure: Without a strategy, a crash is certain.
So, here’s a plan I practiced as a single mom. I still embrace this New Year’s tradition by giving myself a self-examination test with these 10 questions. By recording them in my journal, one question a day, they serve as my New Year’s detox, cleansing my internal and external toxins. And after that, I’m set for God to infuse fresh air into my tires.
So join me? Grab your pen and paper. A memorable trip always requires a check list of questions.
1. Lord, how is my relationship with you? Any good friendship requires examination. We might you say, “Lord, we’re doing great!” Or we might say, “Lord, I’ve drifted and I’ve felt a void lately.” Or perhaps, “Lord, I’m angry at you.” Honesty with God is always number one.
2. Lord, what's the most impossible thing I want you to do this year? I love this question. It reminds me that nothing is too difficult with God. HE is the one who changes hearts and leads us when we take the wrong exit. He’s our bicycle’s GPS.
3. Lord, what's the most important thing I can do to improve the quality of my family life? Your time is already filled to the max; so consider the word quality rather than quantity. Whenever you’re with the kids, be there. Give them your undivided heart. You can worry when they’re not around.
4. Lord, what spiritual disciplines do I need to employ? God gave us multiple ways to enhance our bicycle outing. Pick one: Join a Bible study. Carve out a time of solitude with God each morning. Find an accountability partner. Read God’s Word. Expect a divine encounter.
5. Lord, what is the biggest time-waster in my life? Ouch. Be candid: too much attention to Facebook, dating, fretting, television, extracurricular activities? If it doesn’t draw you closer to God or benefit your children, cut it out. Bricks in your backpack don’t make sense.
6. Lord, how can I strengthen my relationship with the kids? The children won’t be under the roof long. The clock is ticking. Invest in them relentlessly. What they want most is your unconditional love, patience, and a strong backbone in God.
7. Lord, what’s one thing I can do to improve my prayer life? An on-fire connection with Christ is KEY. Effective prayer doesn’t require much. Listen to my podcast for helpful tips: Beefing up your Prayer Life – Make it Real and Fun.
8. Lord, how can I make this year better than last? The word “better” is rooted in the word perspective. We think that better means more: more money, more cooperation, more happiness. But God’s idea of better is different: more trust in Him, more acceptance of what is, more faith.
9. Lord, give me a mission statement? This serves as your life plumb line. When you get off the beaten path, your mission serves as bumper pads in the road to get you back on course. God gave me mine for 2015: LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE (I’m sure He’ll remind me of it all year).
10. Lord, what I can do that will matter most in eternity? Some single moms say, “I don’t have time to think about eternity.” Yet God says that He has put eternity in our hearts. This season will dissolve like cotton candy. What surpasses the test of time is our heart for holiness.
Friend, 2015 is here. So, gear up. Make it a spiritual marker in your bicycle escapade. Strap on your helmet and prepare for new scenery.
Pam Kanaly, popular author of The Single Mom and Her Rollercoaster Emotions and nominated by the Governor of Oklahoma for "Mother of Achievement Award - 2015 "- remains one of America’s leading advocates for single mothers. As founder of the single mothers’ conferences – Survive ‘N’ Thrive, Pam exudes with a God-given passion in seeing women know their value in Christ. She is the co-founder of the national organization Arise Ministries, having been featured on the 700 Club and other national programs. www.ariseministries.net
Publication date: January 8, 2015