4. Define firm boundaries.
Slide 4 of 10
We need to establish boundaries that are defined and based on clear instruction in God’s Word and the priorities He gives. We can’t stand with courage if we don’t know what’s important and the boundaries God gives us for our protection. Boundaries help us keep ungodly influences out of our lives.
Along with boundaries, I’m learning to guard my eyes, ears, mind, and heart. It affects many choices. For example, when I choose entertainment, I now run the selection through a grid of questions:
1. Does the Bible say anything about this?
2. Does this align with what the Lord has already told me to obey?
3. What would my pastor or wisest counselors advise?
4. Would I choose this if Jesus sat next to me? And that makes always me smile because, of course, God is ever-present.
5. Will this bring God honor and glory?
My nutritionist has told me so often, “Discern your neighborhood.” In other words, know where you don’t belong, even if the world is racing that direction. (I don’t belong at a dessert bar!) While a college student, I read a Christian tract by George Watson titled Others May, You Cannot. I suddenly realized other believers might live by different boundaries than the ones the Lord gives me. He knows me. He knows my weaknesses. And sometimes, for my good, He says “no.”
Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstock/g-stockstudio