A HOLY FAST
Read: Joel 1
Key Verse: “Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the Lord your God, and cry out to the Lord.” - Joel 1:14
Fasting is a way of telling God that you are sincerely seeking Him! Avoiding food for a set amount of time to seek God’s help is common in the Bible. Fasting was required on the Day of Atonement, but it was also part of turning back to the Lord in other situations. Fasting has a somber feel with humility and confession. When people are fasting, they should not draw attention to themselves. Joel is calling the nation to come together with prayer and fasting as they desire to return to the Lord.
Here are some questions to consider about fasting:
- Does your nation need to return to the Lord?
- When have you fasted and what was the result?
- Why do so few Christians fast?
- What encourages you to fast?
- Is there a regular weekly meal that you can choose to fast this year?
For more from Pastor Jesse Bradley and Activate Media Ministries, visit www.activatelife.org