Living Totally For Jesus
As a pastor I often get the joy of standing by people as they prepare to face death. For many it is a precious time of helping them get ready. And do you know where to turn to find one of the most practical places in all God's Word for getting ready? Psalm 116
Here is the question before we read the 116th Psalm, how hard is it to die when you have so much wealth?
o People who lay up treasures on earth spend their life backing away from their treasures. To them, death is loss.
o People who lay up treasures in heaven look forward to eternity; they are moving daily toward their treasures. To them, death is gain.
o Those who spend their life moving away from their treasures have more and more reasons to despair. Those who spend their life moving toward their treasures have more and more reasons to rejoice.
o Is the passing of time causing you and me to despair or rejoice? God's ownership of everything is the reference point for all of us who serve the Lord.
God's Word teaches us 8 habits that can keep us spiritually healthy until death.
These are the marks of a healthy spiritual life that takes the sting out of death.
These are the marks of a healthy spiritual life that takes the sting out of death found in Psalm 116.
- v. 1 Believe in Him that He is listening and watching and respond in love.
- v. 2 Cry out to Him. Get used to talking to the Lord. Pour out your heart, your fears, your woes - share them with Him.
- v. 9 Follow Him through your daily life. He is the Shepherd and we are His sheep.
- v. 13 Drink Him. He is our cup of salvation. We thirst and He alone satisfies. Let Him into your life to meet your deepest needs!
- v. 14 Obey Him. Do what He says. Give in and submit to Him.
- v. 16 Serve Him. Tell Him that, say it aloud and offer it as an offering.
- v. 17 Thank Him. Think through all the many blessings and benefits the Lord has heaped upon you. If you have troubles, listen to some children pray. They thank the Lord for eyes to see, warm "blankies" to sleep under, food to eat and all the other simple and sweet blessings of life.
- v. 18-19 Live for Him. From now on live for His glory, talk of His blessings, come into His presence, worship and adore Him.
To continue this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: