Biblical Convictions Of Citizen Of Heaven -- On Earth
Part 3 continued from August 22nd
Exposing the Grave Errors of Homosexuality
And you can see whom Paul is talking about in Romans 1:28 (when he says, “God gave them up to a debased mind”) by reading verses 26 and 27, “For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” Romans 1:28 says, “And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.” In verses 26 and 28 Paul says that God “gave them up” to these dishonorable passions and behaviors. He calls homosexual behavior an “exchange” of the God-ordained natural relations for the dishonorable unnatural relations.”
Declare the Truth that Marriage Cannot Be Between Two Men or Two Women
“There are two biblical reasons why marriage cannot be between two men or two women. The Will of God for Marriage Was Expressed in Creation. One is that Jesus confirmed God’s will in creation when he said in Matthew 19:4-6, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” That’s the Bible’s teaching and the Bible’s assumption from cover to cover. Marriage is one woman and one man becoming one flesh by covenant and sexual union.
There Is No Such Thing as Homosexual Marriage in the Eyes of God. The other biblical reason marriage cannot be between two men or two women is that, on the one hand, the Bible defines homosexual behavior as “dishonorable” and “shameless” and “contrary to nature” (Romans 1:26-27), but on the other hand the Bible says that marriage is to be “held in honor” (Hebrews 13:4). Marriage does not produce shame. And marriage is not contrary to nature. There is therefore no such thing as homosexual marriage in the eyes of God. And there should not be in the eyes of his people—no matter what the state says.
The text says, "God will judge fornicators and adulterers." Just like 1 Cor. 6:9-10 says that "fornicators and adulterers will not inherit the
So there is judgment on fornicators and adulterers, but not all of them. There is escape from judgment for some. Hebrews teaches this message very clearly. In Hebrews 9:27-28 it says, "Just as it is appointed for men to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."
So you can see there WILL be a judgment. But Christ has borne the sins of many--he has taken the judgment for their fornication and their adultery upon himself. And now he is coming, not to do that again, but to save us from the final judgment.
Or look at Hebrews 10:12-13, "When Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins (for fornication and adultery), he sat down at the right hand of God, then to wait until his enemies should be made a stool for his feet."
So again you see two things: Christ took sins like fornication and adultery upon himself and paid their penalty in his own death. BUT there is coming a time when his enemies will be made a footstool for his feet. There is a judgment.
So what we see is that there are two groups of people: those whose sins are covered and forgiven by Jesus (8:12: 10:17-18), and those whose sins will come down on their own heads in the judgment. The difference is in turning from sin and coming to God through Jesus for forgiveness and help. Hebrews 7:25, "Jesus is able for all time to save those who draw near to God through him."
Turn from fornication. Turn from adultery. Draw near to God through Jesus, and he will save for all time. He will enable you to live out a clean and happy future from an unclean and forgiven past .”
- GOD is Pro-Life— God is opposed to Abortion and Euthanasia. He is the Creator of Life, the One who grants conception.
- GOD is Pro-Marriage— God is opposed to Gay Unions, as well as divorce, adultery, fornication, pornography, and any other form of immorality.
- GOD is Pro-Work— God is against indolence, sloth, entitlements, oppression of the poor by the rich, and ever form of false hope produced by gambling and lotteries.
Remember the responsibility we have to expose evil? Here is how we do so, using God's Word!
The Current Status of American Gambling
We have become a nation selling hope for money from people who can not afford to buy it but are offered hope that is unreal, impossible, and destructive. Lotteries like drug addiction, and drunkenness offer what only God can give freely!
In 1998, Americans spent more money on gambling (approximately 50 billion)
than on recorded music, theme parks, video games, spectator sports, and movie
tickets combined (39.9 billion). Six Lotteries have a long history in the
In 2001 Americans wagered $57 billion dollars on lotteries, $18 billion on horses and dogs, $592 billion in casinos, and $150 billion on other gambling. This is a blot on American life. Break it down to individuals.
The American exploitation of the poor with lotteries muddies the conscience of many legislators. Statistics abound that "the government-sponsored lottery continues its shameless exploitation of the poor" (James Dobson, April, 1999 Newsletter). This exploitation is explicit in some of the advertising bought by the $400 million spent annually by states to promote lotteries. For example, in
The lottery is another opportunity to pierce your soul with many pangs, and lead your children into ruin. The Bible says, "Those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. . . . Some by longing for it . . . and pierced themselves with many a pang (1 Timothy 6:9-10). In other words, the desire to be rich is suicidal. And endorsing it is cruel.
It is wrong to wager with a trust fund. And all we have, as humans, is a trust fund. Everything we have is a trust from God, to be used for his glory. "[God] himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything" (Acts 17:25). Faithful trustees may not gamble with a trust fund. They work and trade: value for value, just and fair. This is the pattern again and again in Scripture. And when you are handling the funds of another, how much more irresponsible it is to wager!”
Gambling Denies Love of neighbor -Jesus commanded, "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:31). Gambling, meanwhile, is predicated on the losses, pain, and suffering of others. For one to win at gambling, others must lose. For many, the ramifications attributable to their gambling losses are profound. Families touched by a gambling addiction are at greatly increased risk for such negative outcomes as divorce, bankruptcy, child abuse, domestic violence, crime, and suicide. More than 15 million Americans already struggle with a gambling problem, and the number continues to grow as gambling expands.
- Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
- Luke 6:31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.
- Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
- Philippians 2:3-4 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Gambling always Exploits the poor -Gambling preys on the desperation of the poor. The National Gambling Impact Study Commission found that those with incomes less than $10,000 spend more on lottery tickets than any other income group. High school dropouts spend four times as much as college graduates. Scripture exhorts us to look out for the poor and disadvantaged, and issues strong warnings against taking advantage of their plight.
- Proverbs 14:21 He who despises his neighbor sins; But he who has mercy on the poor, happy is he.
- Proverbs 14:31 He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy. Lotteries reproach God!
- Proverbs 22:16 He who oppresses the poor to increase his riches, And he who gives to the rich, will surely come to poverty. Lotteries invite the judgment of God!
- Isaiah 3:14-15 The Lord will enter into judgment with the elders of His people And His princes: “For you have eaten up the vineyard; The plunder of the poor is in your houses.15 What do you mean by crushing My people And grinding the faces of the poor?” Says the Lord God of hosts.
- Amos 5:11-12 Therefore, because you tread down the poor And take grain taxes from him, Though you have built houses of hewn stone, Yet you shall not dwell in them; You have planted pleasant vineyards, But you shall not drink wine from them. 12 For I know your manifold transgressions And your mighty sins: Afflicting the just and taking bribes; Diverting the poor from justice at the gate.
- Zechariah 7:10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, The alien or the poor. Let none of you plan evil in his heart Against his brother.’
Gambling Destroys a Biblical Work ethic -Work has been part of God's design for mankind from the very beginning. We are to invest our time and energies into labors that supply our needs and those of our families (Proverbs 31, 2 Thessalonians 3:10, 1 Timothy 5:8) and that allow us to share with others (Ephesians 4:28). Scripture is replete with exhortations toward industriousness and admonitions against slothfulness. Gambling, meanwhile, portends something for nothing. Indeed, gambling advertising and marketing frequently belittles hard work and diligence.
- Genesis 2:15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
- Exodus 20:9Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
- Proverbs 12:11 He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, But he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding.
- Proverbs 13:4 The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.’
- Proverbs 21:25 The desire of the lazy man kills him, For his hands refuse to labor.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
- 1 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
This message will conclude tomorrow August 24th. We will continue looking at issues dealing with gambling and conclude with “Dare to be a Daniel”.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.